Random shut downs

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
My computer black screened quite often until I bought a basically new gtx 670 from my friend. I had a 3 year old gtx 560 ti so I thought that was the problem. It is black screening again, so I rolled back on the drivers and that did not work, I just cleared a lot of space on the ssd and defragmented it and that didn't work either. Any thoughts? I think it could be a bad port on my Asrock p67 Extreme 4, do you think I should switch it to the lower PCIE port?
Thanks

These are my specs:
Asrock P67 Extreme 4 B3
i5 2500k @4.2ghz (just upped the cpu multiplier to x42)
Hyper 212 plus
8gb (4x2gb) corsair xms 3 @1600mhz
asus direct cuII gtx 670 (no overclock)
corsair tx650 (old version only 80+ certified not even bronze)
Seagate 600 240gb ssd
WD Black 640gb hdd

Solution
black screening and bsod's are quite different. the latter suggests ram or video card/driver problems while the former suggests cpu/power problems.

try setting to stock to rule out the oc.

your 650w psu is cutting it a bit close when capacitor aging is taken into account so it'd be useful to rule that out.
if the problem still occurs after resetting the multiplier, try a higher capacity psu if you have one,
or you can try to reduce the power load by resetting the multiplier to stock and removing non-essential peripherals (non-boot hdds, odds, usb devices, all except cpu fans).

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
black screening and bsod's are quite different. the latter suggests ram or video card/driver problems while the former suggests cpu/power problems.

try setting to stock to rule out the oc.

your 650w psu is cutting it a bit close when capacitor aging is taken into account so it'd be useful to rule that out.
if the problem still occurs after resetting the multiplier, try a higher capacity psu if you have one,
or you can try to reduce the power load by resetting the multiplier to stock and removing non-essential peripherals (non-boot hdds, odds, usb devices, all except cpu fans).

Solution