Question Random shut offs. Power supply surge?

Mar 11, 2018
Hi,

My PC has been behaving strangely these past few days.
  1. PC shuts down immediately after waking it up from sleep. It then restarts, tries to boot up again, goes through the boot process for 5 seconds or so, shuts down again and restarts. It may repeat this cycle 4-5 times before actually booting up properly.
  2. Random shut down at any given moment while I'm working.
In either of these cases, I'm given the following error on the (American Megatrends) BIOS screen.
Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!
My components are about 6 years old. Here are my specs.
  • MOBO - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
  • PSU - CORSAIR TX850M 850W ATX12V
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.20GHz
  • Battery Backup - APC BR1500G Back-UPS Pro 1500 VA
How sure can I be that it's the power supply? What can I do to troubleshoot the issue/identify the problem?

Thanks!

Onomatik

Reputable
May 3, 2016
Just to throw this in as a possibility: I had an issue a couple of years ago random reboots, and power downs. Turns out to be the 20+4 ATX power connector to the motherboard not on tight enough. It can be a fraction of a mil of a difference. I solved it by purchasing an aftermarket 24 pin ATX power extension lead. It essentially holds everything together better.

InvalidError

Titan
Asus Anti-Surge gets triggered by excessively noisy or out-of-spec power coming out of the PSU. In some cases, the protection may just be excessively sensitive. When working as intended, it basically means that your PSU is dying or having problems.

I've had Anti-Surge shut down my PC a few years ago. Upon inspection, I ended up discovering that I simply had neglected to clean the bottom air filter on my case for so long that it completely clogged up, causing the PSU to run hot. The anti-surge trips went away as soon as I cleaned the filter.