Question Random Shutdown

The_Barronator

Commendable
May 1, 2021
Hello,

I recently bought a new PC setup and I have encountered a curious critical error about 3 times now. Basically what happens during this error is the whole tower just randomly shuts down completely, and unless I do a full power cycle, it will not start up properly again, or it will start up but a fan such as the CPU fan won't get going properly, or it will start for a split second and then shut off.

This is not a regular issue for me, it has only happened three times. Once while I was alt-tabbing out of Red Dead Redemption 2 into Discord, and the 2nd and 3rd time was when I ran a 4k max settings benchmark for Hitman 3, during a part of the benchmark where 10 bookshelves explode on screen. 3rd time was because I was able to replicate the event in the benchmark. I double checked and there's no heat issues, temps are fine during the other Hitman 3 benchmarks on the same settings (Hitman 3 has a couple different benchmarks). Very curious because one of the benchmarks is interactive, and I went causing all that physx destruction myself in it with no issues. Solid 60fps at 4k max. No temp issues. I don't understand. it.

Bottom line, I'm worried this is a sign of a faulty PSU that can't handle a sudden, rapid voltage change. Could that be what it is?

Because even if it was a split second of benchmark that my PC was just like "screw this"......should that cause the PSU to fail? The problem behaves like that's what it was.....all the event viewer can tell me is KernelPower 41 0x0, which isn't too helpful.

Advice would be appreciated.

Here's my system info:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B450M DS3H WIFI V2
BIOS: F1 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16330MB RAM
Page File: 7880MB used, 20225MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio)

TRENDING THREADS