Random shutdowns after Hyper 212 EVO and RAM install

papasmerf767

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
As the title reads, I have installed a hyper 212 EVO cooler for my intel i5 3570K processor, on my Asus Z77 pro motherboard. However, I've noticed after leaving the computer on while I was out for a while, it was shut down upon my return. I decided to stream some video whilst I slept, and woke up to (surprise) a shut down computer. Oddly enough, I can start my computer by clicking the mouse (which has been the same mouse I've used for a few months prior, no issues) as if the system were in sleep mode, after this type of unexpected shutdown occurs.

The Info:

• I also installed an extra 8 gigs of RAM, but I doubt this is the issue. The Fan of the EVO very slightly tilts one of the RAM modules in its slot, but all four modules register just fine.

I checked event logger for both times, and see no evidence of a shutdown except for one warning for one of the times it shut down saying that the shut down was not expected.

As for temperature, I have played DayZ for SEVERAL hours, and the CPU temp has not gone higher than 100 Fahrenheit.

I had to instruct the BIOS to ignore fan speed due to the low stock speed of the fan, which I then increased within windows to 1600 RPM through Asus AI suite. Not doing so would allow the fans to run at a measly 600 RPM(give or take 20 RPM) forcing the "error no CPU fan detected" error on start-up.

my theory/theories:

• perhaps after some idle time, the fan automatically slows down, increasing CPU temperature? (However when windows starts, there is no "thermal shutdown message" Nor is there any hint of heat issues in event logger)

Honestly this issue extends my average knowledge of computers, so I reach out to you as a community for help. Thank you very much for reading and trying to help.

Adroid

Distinguished
Edit:

I didn't read your post properly. You should try to disable fan speed control in BIOS if possible. That typically pushes the fan to max speed constantly.

See if that helps at all. It does sound like a strange issue considering you can game fine without the CPU throttling, so it seems like its working right.

papasmerf767

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
a friend of mine brought up a good point, that the RAM latencies as well as clock speeds may be different due to my stupidity of not checking these things out before purchasing the new RAM. Will update within 24 hours hopefully. thanks for the suggestions, will try them if need be.

kilobyte

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
This could be completely wrong but could it be a complete coincidence that you upgraded your hardware and that the problem be a failing/faulty power supply? I had a faulty power supply on a pc a few years back and it would just randomly shut down by itself and turn itself on by itself for no reason at all. Just a though anyway.

TRENDING THREADS