Random shutdowns/blackscreens on windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maretemar

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Hello, i have been having an annoying issue lately. After I installed windows 10 about 2 months ago my computer would randomly shut down and then i would have to replug the power chord in order for it to turn back on.
At first i thought it was a faulty psu, but i decided to format my hdd first seeing as i wanted to clean it up anyways, and then the problem disappeared.
Yesterday the same problem started again, and much worse this time. When it turns off now, not only do i have to unplug the power chord, I also have to give a 10-15 minutes rest, otherwise it will just shut down 10 seconds after being turned on again. When i give it 10-15 mins its uptime could be from 30 minutes to 3 hours.
There are no error messages, and the eventviewer is only giving me kernel power 41 a.k.a. an unexpected shutdown. I have not done any hardware upgrades recently and the parts i have now are the same parts that i had while i was on windows 7.(never experienced this on windows 7)
So I am currently thinking that my psu is faulty, but i dont know for sure seeing as the problem stopped for about 2 months when i wiped my hdd. I just want to be sure so I dont end up with a new psu i dont really need.
Any help at all is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Edit: Thought I'd just share my specs in case that'll help somehow
PSU: Corsair RM850 850watt
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 gaming 4gb
CPU: AMD FX-8320
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Solution

Hello! The problem has been resolved, sorry for not flagging it as solved. I ended up buying a new psu to fix it. I gave my old psu, the rm850, to a friend of mine and he experienced the same problem as me. I read up on the issue, and it turns out corsair has been made aware of this issue and they supposedly fixed it in november 2013, but the one i bought...

Maretemar

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015

Hello! The problem has been resolved, sorry for not flagging it as solved. I ended up buying a new psu to fix it. I gave my old psu, the rm850, to a friend of mine and he experienced the same problem as me. I read up on the issue, and it turns out corsair has been made aware of this issue and they supposedly fixed it in november 2013, but the one i bought had that exact problem even though i bought it after 2013 nov.
Anyway, i appreciate your time and answer, and i am sorry for not flagging this as solved.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.