Random shutdowns, CPU overheating?

Aug 17, 2018
Let's start this off by saying that I don't have a lot of knowledge about PC's.
Lately I have been encountering a very consistent and annoying problem. Every time I try to play a game, the PC decides to shut itself off after a while. The PC is able to turn right back on after shut down. It started when I was playing Just Cause 3, but now it can even happen whilst browsing the internet. I tried some troubleshooting online and people talked about changing some Win10 settings around, but sadly this hasn't worked for me.

So I thought it was a hardware problem. I looked up my CPU specifications and it turned out that the maximum temperature according to the manufacturer should not exceed 61.1 ºC. However when I ran MSI Afterburner it showed regular temperatures around the high 70's ºC and low 80's ºC during games (with the stock CPU fan). I have also been thinking about a PSU problem.

Here are my specs:
- Cooler Master K-380 Advanced 3.0
- AMD Vishera FX-8320 Eight-Core
- Cooler Master Hyper H412R
- MSI 970 Gaming
- Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3-1866
- Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
- 1000 GB Sata III HDD
- 600 Watt Cooler Master PSU3
- Windows 10 64-bit

Yesterday I had a local PC shop switch my stock CPU fan with the Cooler Master Hyper H412R. I was very happy with how silent the fan was, but after playing Ark Surival Evolved, it shut down after a while again and the case was very hot.

Possibly worth mentioning:
- When I change the energy settings to energy saving the problem does not occur, temperatures stay much lower but the PC runs very slow.

- When changed to balanced energy settings I can make the PC last if I take a side panel off and have a external room ventilator blow towards the CPU. No problems occur then.

- Event Viewer shows Kernel-Power 41 as a cause for the shutdown.

I hope this forum can help me out since I really don't know what to do anymore.

Aug 17, 2018

Well, it's not overclocked if that is what you mean? Base clock is 3,5 Ghz. In AMD Overdrive the frequency seems to spike a lot. Or do you mean during gaming?

I hope I understood your answer