Question Random shutdowns during games, no post, VGA LED

Jul 5, 2021
Specs:
MB - X570 AORUS PRO
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB (2x8GB) @3600 & Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) @3466
GPU - XFX Speedster MERC 319 RX 6800 XT (I know..)
GPU - Corsair SF750 PSU

Issue:
- While gaming, 50% of the time, PC shuts down RANDOMLY and tries to reboot but does not post. The motherboard finally shows a VGA LED after a couple cycles.

Notes:
  • All components of the system are powered during the no post (Fans, LEDs etc)
  • Motherboard LEDs cycle I think two or three times before indicating VGA.
  • When manually turning off the PC, after the random shut down, CSM changes to enabled. Aditionally, my second monitor does not turn when rebooting.
  • At first I thought this was a DX12 issue as I was randomly crashing at least once (almost everytime) I played COD MW or Cold War before the random reboots happened. After checking reliability history I was met with problem "D3DDRED3".
  • I don't think it's a power delivery issue since its so random, I have the recommended wattage for my GPU and the PC sometimes shuts down after winding down from a long game session and I'm idling in the menu for example. But I'm no expert.
  • EDIT checked event viewer and noticed similar things happening before/after every random shutdown. Found a Kernel-Power Event ID 41. Not sure what anything on event viewer means though :/
What I've tried:
  • Monitoring temps, GPU reaches 85C junction temperature (hottest part)
  • changing PCIE cables.
  • using two separate PCIE cables instead of split cable.
  • RAM stability tests (MEMTEST) overnight with no problems.
  • reducing clock speeds below XMP.
  • swapping RAM sticks.
  • Updating Bios.
  • Resetting bios to optimised defaults.
  • Reinstalling GPU drivers completely.
  • Reassembling the entire PC. Visually inspecting parts and cleaning.
  • Checked if drives are configured to GPT.
I've tried to include everything I've experienced and tried over the few months. I might have left out some things.
I'm stumped so any ideas moving forwards would be greatly appreciated. Even doing what I've already tried, incase there's a proper procedure that I havent followed.

Last edited:
Specs:
MB - X570 AORUS PRO
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB (2x8GB) @3600 & Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB) @3466
GPU - XFX Speedster MERC 319 RX 6800 XT (I know..)
GPU - Corsair SF750 PSU

Issue:
- While gaming, 50% of the time, PC shuts down RANDOMLY and tries to reboot but does not post. The motherboard finally shows a VGA LED after a couple cycles.

Notes:
  • All components of the system are powered during the no post (Fans, LEDs etc)
  • Motherboard LEDs cycle I think two or three times before indicating VGA.
  • When manually turning off the PC, after the random shut down, CSM changes to enabled. Aditionally, my second monitor does not turn when rebooting.
  • At first I thought this was a DX12 issue as I was randomly crashing at least once (almost everytime) I played COD MW or Cold War before the random reboots happened. After checking reliability history I was met with problem "D3DDRED3".
  • I don't think it's a power delivery issue since its so random, I have the recommended wattage for my GPU and the PC sometimes shuts down after winding down from a long game session and I'm idling in the menu for example. But I'm no expert.
What I've tried:
  • Monitoring temps, GPU reaches 85C junction temperature (hottest part)
  • changing PCIE cables.
  • using two separate PCIE cables instead of split cable.
  • RAM stability tests (MEMTEST) overnight with no problems.
  • reducing clock speeds below XMP.
  • swapping RAM sticks.
  • Updating Bios.
  • Resetting bios to optimised defaults.
  • Reinstalling GPU drivers completely.
  • Reassembling the entire PC. Visually inspecting parts and cleaning.
  • Checked if drives are configured to GPT.
I've tried to include everything I've experienced and tried over the few months. I might have left out some things.
I'm stumped so any ideas moving forwards would be greatly appreciated. Even doing what I've already tried, incase there's a proper procedure that I havent followed.
Hello

Usually," brownouts" are linked to your PSU

is it possible for you to get a loaner psu and try it your system? (friend/family/etc)

Even if it has the same symptoms it will give us much info

can you try this and we can go from there

Jul 5, 2021
Hello

Usually," brownouts" are linked to your PSU

is it possible for you to get a loaner psu and try it your system? (friend/family/etc)

Even if it has the same symptoms it will give us much info

can you try this and we can go from there
I bought a new psu (currently using) a couple of days ago the same is happening for both.

I bought a new psu (currently using) a couple of days ago the same is happening for both.
Ok this rules out the PSU

to my mind this leaves mobo and ram

Can you work with only one set of ram and test? (i noticed you are using two different ramkits - this sometimes gives issues)

also some info concerning your ram, you say that the speeds are (kit A) 3600mhz and (kit B) 3466

When combining ram, it will aways work at the slowest speed (in your case 3466mhz)

Also mixing ram can give you weird issues, but sometimes not, really depends (in general it is not recommended)

Jul 5, 2021
Ok this rules out the PSU

to my mind this leaves mobo and ram

Can you work with only one set of ram and test? (i noticed you are using two different ramkits - this sometimes gives issues)

also some info concerning your ram, you say that the speeds are (kit A) 3600mhz and (kit B) 3466

When combining ram, it will aways work at the slowest speed (in your case 3466mhz)

Also mixing ram can give you weird issues, but sometimes not, really depends (in general it is not recommended)
I'm aware but thank you :D still waiting to get another 3600MHz kit to match.
I have tested with both ram kits individually and the same issue persists. I've even tried speeds below the XMP for both kits.
I'm starting to think its to do with my motherboard. How? no idea, I'm hoping someone can let me know xD. It's really is frustrating not completely knowing and I'd rather not buy a replacement motherboard with the chance that the issue still occurs.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS