So I recently got a new system, here are the specs:

MSI Z270-A Pro Mobo
I5 7600K CPU
1060 6GB Founder's GPU
1X Hyper 212X Fan
1X 256GB M.2
1X 1TB SSD
Corsair VS450 PSU

Did a bit of research and my peak power supply with the given components should only hit around 370W, so 450W should be more than enough if I am not mistaken.

The PC shutdown at completely random points, thermals are all fine, cables are spot on, even tried reseating most components and removing CD drive etc to minimize power consumption, with absolutely no change.

Sometimes the pc will shut down immediately after reaching desktop (this is usually only on the first time of powering on for the day, after maybe 7-8 hours switched off)

After this is can shut down at absolutely any given time, whilst under load or not, I have experienced it whilst sitting idle on desktop with nothing open and also experienced it mid-game from some games like the division.

I even tried lowering minimum/maximum cpu power to 80/95 respectively, with no changes.

After doing FAR too much reading online, I am starting to get the feeling it could be that the PSU is not powerful enough for the components, but I don't really understand why that would be.

Jan 14, 2019

I think CX550 will be the ideal choice for my situation, closer to the wattage I'll actually need. Thanks for all of the help, had a feeling it was to do with the psu after seeing how old the current one is. I'll update once I manage to test it with a better psu first :)

TRENDING THREADS