Question Random Shutdowns, Low Temps, Replaced PSU, RMA'd Mobo, Reinstalled Windows HELP PLEASE

May 23, 2019
I built this PC almost 2 years ago and it ran fine until recently

i7-7700k
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Auorus Mobo
4 sticks of 8gb ddr4 Ram 3200mhz
1080ti sc2 Hybrid
samsung 960 evo m2
850w PSU and 750w PSU

My computer will randomly shutdown at any given time. Sometimes when im gaming or sometimes when it's idle.

When this happens I get a blue screen saying "Computer shutting down" for a second then its off. If i go to start it back up, everything will light up and just before post it just turns off. If i wait a couple minutes tho i can turn it on using the power button on the mobo and windows and everything boots just fine and runs normally, low temps, nothing strange, but ill be gaming or finish a gaming session, leave it idle or during a game, it will randomly shutdown again the same.

I tried pulling the GPU, same thing wouldn't boot normal. i tried different outlets. I RMA'd my mobo (i suspect they tested it and deemed it ok and sent it back without doing anything)
I put in a different PSU. I reinstalled windows on a different m2... I have no idea what is wrong with my baby.

Any help would be appreciated because this rig is my precious

I'd say its your ram! Try combinations of ram modules. You have 4 x 8gb. Are they matched kit?

I'd suggest running memtest86+ from a USB and testing your ram. Test it for 4 passes. If it fails, you know where the issue is. If you have mixed and matched different ram modules, then this is prob where the issue lies. YOu can try swapping the memory around. For gaming 16gb is plenty. If you have one matched kit, try that by itself and see how it goes.

Please link the ram you have as there may be compatibility issues with your mobo.

For me it sounds like your ram is unstable in it's current set up.

May 23, 2019
I'd say its your ram! Try combinations of ram modules. You have 4 x 8gb. Are they matched kit?

I'd suggest running memtest86+ from a USB and testing your ram. Test it for 4 passes. If it fails, you know where the issue is. If you have mixed and matched different ram modules, then this is prob where the issue lies. YOu can try swapping the memory around. For gaming 16gb is plenty. If you have one matched kit, try that by itself and see how it goes.

Please link the ram you have as there may be compatibility issues with your mobo.

For me it sounds like your ram is unstable in it's current set up.
it's a matched kit of g skill trident rgb. today I can't even get it to turn on. it powers up for a few seconds all lights up but turns off before post. what's weird is it ran fine for a year and half. then one day it said shutting down an and this nightmare began. and letting it sit for a week or more it started working for like 2 weeks. but now its doing the same thing even after replacing psu. when I rma my mobo they just sent it right back.... I will be so mad if it ends up being the mobo

also event viewer gives error 41 kernel power. and one time I was updating windows 10, changing power options etc, I went to restart, it said apps are preventing from restart one of them was kernel power... like it knew it couldn't reboot... I thought ok fluctuating power, so I put it in a UPC... same thing.. I'm replacing the mobo battery now... that didn't help.. I tried booting it with just one stick of ram , switching them out. tried 2 sticks in slot 1,2 and also 3,4...

I guess ill breadboard it tomorrow. I just hope its not my processor as I delidded it and they would probably send it back to me if I tried to RMA it? do processors do this sort of thing out of nowhere after a year of perfect use and no warning signs

Last edited: