dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi. A couple of weeks back I was gaming, and my PC shut off completely with no warning. Just like what would happen to a PC without UPS backup when power goes off. I had no clue what was happening so I turned it on again and it boot up fine. Again I opened the game (Apex legends, if that makes any difference) and I didn't even start playing. I was still in the Lobby of the game, and PC turned off again. I tried turning it on again, but this time it kept on restarting endlessly. I thought something was up with my PSU. So I left it and a couple of days later I tried to power it on again, but this time with a different power cord to the PSU. Now there were no restarts. System was kept on, but my motherboard has this component troubleshooting LEDs, and DRAM LED was on. I was confused whether it was a PSU issue or RAM issue. Because of the Corona outbreak I had no option to check it by replacing the components. So I waited for a couple of weeks and today I turned the system on again. To my surprise, it works with no issue at all. I tried gaming, no issue. So I tired OCCT PSU test for 5 mins. No shut downs. But one thing I noticed was the voltage on 12V rail. It was 11.61V all the time. Could someone help me sort out the issue? Could the PSU be dying or would it be something else?

By the way I forgot to mention more about the components. It's a Cooler master Elite 500W PSU. And my PC has a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU with NVIDIA GTX 1660. And I don't exactly remember how old the PSU is, though it could be around 4-5 years.

Solution
And if it doesn't overheat, it doesn't mean it's not the PSU; you have a very low-quality power supply. There are multiple Elite 500W PSUs and they're both of such ancient, cheap design that they're not really even 400W PSUs.

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
i would check if the psu overheath it cut itself so check this you might need another psu .
I don't know if this has to do with anything that's happening, but I had been gaming everyday for like, literally 5-6 hours, sometimes continuous. Could that have stressed the PSU to an extend that it's too old to handle such load?

Also, how do you suggest I check if the PSU is overheating or not?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And if it doesn't overheat, it doesn't mean it's not the PSU; you have a very low-quality power supply. There are multiple Elite 500W PSUs and they're both of such ancient, cheap design that they're not really even 400W PSUs.

Solution

dsdani352

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Agreed mate. I guess it has become too old anyways. I went out and got a MWE 650 PSU. I couldn't find a Corsair CX or I'd have bought that one. Thanks to this Corona season every damn store has empty stocks and I have to make do with this one. I ran some tests and voltage on 12V, 3.3V and 5V appears very stable. So I guess this one should be enough.