Question Random shutdowns

Jun 24, 2020
Hi,
Recently, my GC died, I asked a professional to change it, as well as several other components, RAM, MB and CPU.

Right after, my computer started to shutdown by itself, usually while playing.
I brought it back to the pro, he said it was an heating problem, most likely coming from poor quality thermal paste, therefore he changed it to silver thermal paste, checked the fans, let the PC run an entire day (without starting games tho'), apparently, it was good, no overheating to signal.
But that didn't change the problem, the computer still shutdowns. I repaired windows 10...same result.

I'm starting to believe this could be a deficient or insufficient psu.

Here's what I know about the setup.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600
- RAM 32Go (2x16Go) DDR4
- MB B450M Gigabyte
- GPU Nvidia GTX 1660Ti OC 6Go

Those parts haven't been changed :
PSU 550W
SSD 240Go MX100 sata

Thanks for your help by advance.

For that pc you will definitely need a better cpu with more watts.At least 650
That’s just wrong. A good quality 450w is plenty for that system. The 1660Ti in this review draws under 130w https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-turing,6002-4.html

So let’s say gpu is 150w to give some headroom. It’s unlikely the rest of the system will draw more than 120w so again let’s say another 150w-200w to be really safe. The peak load is unlikely to surpass 300w and definitely not over 350w.

The CX550M is a mediocre psu but it is acceptable and should have no problem with that system. However it is possible it has a fault. The description of the fault sounds typical for a psu problem, if not psu I would think a heat problem.

Do you have another psu you can try? What are the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming?

Reactions: Iliovski
Jun 24, 2020
So I realized those shutdowns only happens when my VR headset was plugged in (Occulus Rift), however, even a second before the crash, temperature and CPU usage are fine, oscillating between 45 to 70 degrees Celsius....as soon as I unplugged the VR headset... Nothing wrong :/

So I realized those shutdowns only happens when my VR headset was plugged in (Occulus Rift), however, even a second before the crash, temperature and CPU usage are fine, oscillating between 45 to 70 degrees Celsius....as soon as I unplugged the VR headset... Nothing wrong :/

When you unplug the headset, you're unplugging both the HDMI and the USB and it stops crashing, right? Can you try one or the other to see? Probably could be drive, graphics card or not enough power on the USB port.