Random Shutoffs and Abysmal Performance

NecromanciCat

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
So, I just installed three new components: A 1TB Western Digital HDD, a 750w Gold XFX TS PSU, and an XFX R9 380 2gb.

My PC before the upgrade had these specs:
Asus P5Q Motherboard
Core 2 Quad Q550 @ 2.83GHz
4GB Ram (I don't know the brands, this PC was given to me by my Uncle.)
Radeon HD 4550
Antec 450w PSU
250GB HDD, also unsure of the brand, I believe it's probably Seagate.

Since installing the new PSU, GPU, and HDD -- I haven't formatted it yet -- my computer seems slower; it can't launch Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas at all, Diablo 3 FPS is pathetically low at lowest settings, and Elder Scrolls Online causes the entire system to shut down as in, if I try to enter the game, it shuts down, if I try to raise the graphics, it shuts down.

I honestly don't know what the hell to do at this point. I bought the R9 a couple of weeks ago, but held off on installing it because my power supply didn't have 6-pin PCI-E cables, and now that I have a power supply that has them, the damn thing doesn't work.

As I said earlier, my entire system seems significantly slower. It takes longer to boot, and just scrolling through steam seems choppy. I don't believe it's a GPU temperature problem as MSI Afterburner only shows a max of 50 degrees Celcius. I also have the latest AMD Drivers for my card.

Is this a faulty PSU? Are my processor and motherboard too outdated to utilize any of this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I got a playable frame rate in Diablo 3, Elder Scrolls Online, and Fallout: New Vegas (with graphic mods) and now I can't even run these.

P.P.S. I also am entirely unsure where this would go, exactly.

NecromanciCat

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Alright, so there's two things I've seen. I'm looking at both Real Temp and CPU-Z and I'm seeing some things that definitely aren't normal.

First off, Min/Max Temps for all four cores are as follows: 92/102 86/92 86/95 85/94 degree Celsius.

Secondly, the CPU is underclocking itself to 2GHz on its own, and still running that hot with 2-15% Load on it.

My CPU has never run this hot, what in the world is going on here...?