Question Random spike causing instant freeze for 3-5 seconds

Feb 15, 2019
Hi,

I am experiencing random spike that cause my computer to freeze 3-5 seconds. This can happens anytime.

I tried installing all the newest drivers. I am using MalwareBytes antivirus.

I installed HWMonitor to try to troubleshoot my problem, but I don't know how to read the data.

Here is what I can find when Idle:

View: https://imgur.com/a/NEELybn

Thank you.

All I can tell from that is that the CPU is stepping up and down in clock speeds like most normally do, and that the top clock speed achieved is 3.9+ GHz or so....

What CPU /MB (and GPU if applicable) is this?

Freezes (where even the mouse can't even be moved) can be difficult to track down....can be caused by storage, motherboard, PSU, etc....

Let's start simple....drop down to but a single RAM stick in recommended first slot, and retest. (If no luck, try the other RAM module)

Often, issues accessing data (failing hard drive) can certainly cause such hangups----is this a spinning drive or an SSD?

Is this behavior new, i.e., began within last week? (Perhaps you can System Restore back to an earlier time, and retest, perhaps an errant driver or WIndows update ran afoul; if the system is flawless rolling back, this would seem a possibility)

Similarly, a LinuxMInt LiveCD (run from USB) would function fine without freezes if this were some sort of storage/driver issue...

Feb 15, 2019
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

MB: ROG STRIX B360-H GAMING

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

HD: SSD Kingston SUV500480G

I had this isue since I bought the computer about 6 months ago, but was reluctant to fix it.