Question Random Spikes On New Computer

Spartan6056

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
I recently put together a new computer, but for some reason, I get these random frame drops in every game I play and even sometimes just while using the computer. These random frame drops seem to coincide with spikes in CPU usage as shown by MSI Afterburner. It happens no matter what settings I have on the games whether it is on ultra or the lowest. (Some games tested: Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Skyrim, Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor) They all share the same issue. It also happens when I'm just using the computer like watching Youtube or even making this post. Nothing is overclocked so I don't understand why it would be doing this.

CPU spikes to 67%
View: https://imgur.com/a/yDAAFM5

Specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32gb DDR4-3200 (8X4)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair 850RM
Monitor (just in case): Acer Predator XB281HK

Run an antivirus scan using Malwarebytes, check for stray tasks in Task Manager, or just observe the CPU Usage in Task Manager for some time and see what process is suddenly causing the spike - you can do so more easily by sorting the list of processes by CPU Usage. If you don't find anything useful from these steps, make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest and try reinstalling Windows.

Spartan6056

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Run an antivirus scan using Malwarebytes, check for stray tasks in Task Manager, or just observe the CPU Usage in Task Manager for some time and see what process is suddenly causing the spike - you can do so more easily by sorting the list of processes by CPU Usage. If you don't find anything useful from these steps, make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest and try reinstalling Windows.

So I ran PCMatic on my computer after your suggestion and it seemed the issue was in my registry. The program found 52 registry files that somehow got messed up and corrected them. I don't know how so many files got that way so fast, but my computer seems to be running smoothly now and the spikes have stopped. Thanks for your reply.