Random "squeal" / "whirring" noises from PC (probably fan)

AntaresSQ01

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
Hello all,

I have come to inherit another mystery issue with my PC.
Backstory time: I have had a really nice fan setup with no issues whatsoever, pc was "loud" but not making noises. About 3-4 weeks ago one of my fans made a bit loud whirring noise for like half a second, didn't figure out which one it was.

Days pass with no issues, then a bit later it occured again, this time for a few seconds.
After this the fans regularly started making a slightly rougher louder whirring noise every once in a while and this one time it did it for like a good minute or so. When this happened I tried to figure out what made the noise, strangely putting my hand on the front of my case (by my 2 intake fans) stopped the noise, when removed it came back, put it on again, stopped the noise.

Now recently these noises seem to have stopped. Come now from what i can assume my PSU fan is, is making some demonic screeches that sound like some dying dog's distorted barks. And whizzing noises like when you pull a really small zip up and down (I'll link video when i can). It happens a few times in a few minutes then it stops and wont come back for a good 30 mins or so maybe even an hour or two sometimes. It's a reasonably old PSU but it's weird how these issues came to be all at the same time.

Mind you I live in a really dusty house but i regularly clean my case's air filters and inside. Is this a temporary issue, bearings or time for a new PSU? (Before i get thrashed for using this garbage PSU I have to say that it served me just fine for 4 years with multiple setups and overclocking, same for 2 of my friends that got it around the same time.)
Thanks for any helps!

Setup:
i7 7700K - Cryorig H7 cooling
EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
Samsung HD204UI 2TB HDD
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB HDD
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
1x8 GB Crucial Ballistix LS sport 2666mhz
Corsair 230T case with all of it's original fans
Corsair CX600M PSU

Well.....I deal with noisy fans a lot. I have about 100 pieces of equipment with fans I'm responsible for.

Basically what you're describing is typical.

They start making noises occasionally....some stranger than others...then it basically gets worse until the fan doesn't spin anymore.

It's worn bearings.