[SOLVED] Random Stutters on Solid PC Build - Everything from Word Processing to Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2021
Good afternoon, all!

I've built several computers and am constantly tinkering with tech "stuff", much to my significant other's chagrin. About a year ago, I decided to upgrade some components of my aging PC. Moderate upgrades, budget friendly. This turned into throwing way too much money into it... because why not? I have been moderately pleased with my results but not as blown away as I thought I would be. Fast forward to now - I've been incredibly busy between pursuing another degree, my career, and my family and rarely game anymore. I booted up the desktop, updated everything, and am discovering an odd issue which has eluded my amatuer attempts to solve.

The computer "freezes" for several seconds. The time appears variable but I haven't attempted to clock it. I haven't pinpointed any one activity which causes the freezing. It can occur with nothing but notepad running or while gaming. It just happened as I type this. The screen does not flicker, the image doesn't change. You can be typing a sentence or moving the mouse and it will stop registering an input at some point, and then just resume operating as normal shortly thereafter. That's the best I can describe the issue.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc 1407 2/24/2020
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix RTX2080 Super 8G
Power Suppy: ASUS ROG Strix 750W ATX
Boot Disk: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
Display: ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ (43" Ultrawide)

Any other system information I can provide I'm glad to. Stock Ryzen cooler is used. There's a fan controller with several fans attached. Two additional 2.5" SSDs. All peripherals are Razer.

I've kept task manager open while doing standard word processing to look for any processes which jump to the top during one of the freezes. CPU is barely touched during word processing and no large spikes. GPU is at 1% throughout. Memory around 7GB/31.9GB and doesn't spike. System Interrupts Process spikes to high CPU usage immediately upon the "return" from freeze and then goes back down.

Help!

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hi Rbane3,

I'm new here but I had a similar issue with my laptop a couple years back although mine was solely when gaming.

When you say you've updated everything, I can see that your BIOS is outdated, as the latest for your Mobo is:

"Version 3405
2021/02/05 20.26 MBytes
ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING BIOS 3405
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0
  1. Update AMD RAID UEFI driver
  2. Improve system stability"

Which can be located here; ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

You've checked all drivers in device manager?
You've downloaded a free version of one of the many driver updaters? Then used it. As is quite often the case, windows says your device drivers are up to date when actually they're not. I use the free Driver Repair for this...
Mar 8, 2021
Thanks for the probing questions!

Fresh install after upgrade - Yes.
Malware and virus scans - Yes
CPU Temp - I don't recall precisely, I apologize. Fans are throttled and stay on low to medium speeds.
Boot SSD - approximately 20% capacity

Mar 9, 2021
Hi Rbane3,

I'm new here but I had a similar issue with my laptop a couple years back although mine was solely when gaming.

When you say you've updated everything, I can see that your BIOS is outdated, as the latest for your Mobo is:

"Version 3405
2021/02/05 20.26 MBytes
ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING BIOS 3405
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0
  1. Update AMD RAID UEFI driver
  2. Improve system stability"

Which can be located here; ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

You've checked all drivers in device manager?
You've downloaded a free version of one of the many driver updaters? Then used it. As is quite often the case, windows says your device drivers are up to date when actually they're not. I use the free Driver Repair for this, as it doesn't hassle me for money very often.

In my simple mind it sounds like a communication stutter between CPU, Memory & SSD/HDD.

I would run a standard memory test on RAM. (Press Windows Key + R, type “mdsched.exe” into the Run dialog that appears, and press Enter. You'll need to reboot your computer to perform the test.)

Then check your hard drives for any degradation/corruption. (Open up command prompt (click Windows key + X then select Command Prompt - Admin).
In the command prompt window, type in CHKDSK then a space, then the name of the disk you wish to check. For example, if you wished to perform a disk check on your C drive, type in CHKDSK C then press enter to run the command.)

Then try downloading, flashing to a USB and running the free version of MemTest86 on each RAM stick twice (8 Passes). (Youtube a guide, so much easier than me trying to explain this one!)

Aaaand that's about as far as my recommendations go, if that doesn't work I'm sure someone will have an answer :)
Good luck!

Solution

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I had something like this happen on a pc that had a broken thermostat or something because it would randomly thermal throttle my CPU. I ended up turning off the thermal protection in the bios and it fixed it. Obviously this is dangerous, but I did it about a year ago and haven't had an issue. PC was never really running hot to begin with though, it could shine some light on the issue if it's simliar and you can probably find a better fix lol.

Mar 8, 2021
Thanks for pointing out that the BIOS was outdated! When I say that I had updated everything recently after a bunch of inactivity, I meant through Windows Update. I have now updated my BIOS and used a driver update tool for drivers. CHKDSKs were fine on main boot drive and storage drives. I'm monitoring for the problem to reoccur before going down the other couple of routes you suggest. I'll provide an update either way.

Mar 9, 2021
Thanks for pointing out that the BIOS was outdated! When I say that I had updated everything recently after a bunch of inactivity, I meant through Windows Update. I have now updated my BIOS and used a driver update tool for drivers. CHKDSKs were fine on main boot drive and storage drives. I'm monitoring for the problem to reoccur before going down the other couple of routes you suggest. I'll provide an update either way.

No problem, I hope it's helped even if just to rule out a few things :). Please do!

Status
Not open for further replies.