Random System Crashes Without any Real Noticeable Cause

frumpypants

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
Crash Details

Very recently (starting Dec. 8, approximately 7:30pm EST), my PC has been randomly crashing. I built my system mid July.
To describe the crash:
- Black screens, then monitor detects zero input
- Reset button does not work/respond
- Power button will not force shut off; must hard power off by flipping power switch on PSU
- CPU and case fans stay at current speed at time of "crash?"
- Graphics card lighting effects stop: I have the card set to breathe. If in the middle of the loop, it will finish the effect then stop. If currently at end or beginning of loop (when lights are off), the MSI logo turns white and the other red lights turn on solid

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400 (overclocked through AMD Ryzen Master to 3.9GHz, 1.33V... when the PC stays on long enough to allow me to apply the overclock. Just upgraded BIOS of mobo, have not tried it through the BIOS since the BIOS update. Before the board would throttle the CPU to 1.5GHz with a voltage increase, even any slight. I don't know if this is important but there that is)
MoBo: MSI B350m Gaming Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 2x8
Video Card: MSI Gaming X GTX 1060 3GB
PSU: EVGA 500W 80 Plus White
Windows 10 Home

What Kick-started the Problems

I was using my system at a gaming party for rocket league. I plugged a micro USB cable into my front panel 3.0 to connect another controller, and as soon as I plugged the cable in, the system started it's crashing thing.

Attempts to Fix

I have prowled this site, other sites, searching many different questions, to find nothing at all similar to my problem.
At first I thought I might have blown my USB port. Took the case apart, unplugged the USB 3.0 header from my mobo, and it booted. I thought it was safe, after a few it crashed. I plugged the header back in, and the problems I described continues to happen. (whether the header is plugged in or not)
I re-seated every component in my system, expect for my CPU, I have not had the motivation to pull my cooler off. Besides that, I do not think this is CPU related, or thermals related either, as when I am able to use my system, my CPU reads at around 40C with the overclock applied, at idle.
I've tried unplugging all usb devices from all mobo connections and case connections. I turn the system on, and sometimes repeatedly try until I can get it kind of working. It has gotten incrementally worse since the initial happening, I have noticed. I have tried to get into event viewer but now it crashes withing minutes, if I am able to get to the desktop. If it does last longer, I forget to check event viewer until it crashes, inevitably, again.. and again... and again and again etc.
Tried updating the BIOS, still no help.
I wanted to try reinstalling graphics drivers, but again, cannot keep the system alive long enough to do that.
Wrote this post.

Noticeable Causes... Maybe??

The biggest one is time. It is completely random. Sometimes it will be stable for an hour now then it is gone. Sometimes directly after a restart. Sometimes it won't even start up (which I can tell when it will not start as the fans will stay at a high speed, both on CPU, and Video Card. If it is a successful post, the fans will turn way down)
Literally touching the case. It does not matter where I touch it. I could touch a feather to the glass panel and it would crash. Other times I can use my PC as a percussion instrument (exaggerated, but you get the point) and it will stay running just fine.
And I think I am getting to the point where it knows I am looking at it and hoping it to work and it will die. So I do not really know what the "cause" is...

Final Thoughts

I honestly have zero clue what is going on. My only assumption is it is a motherboard problem, where I should try replacing my mobo? At the current moment, I would like to keep this as low cost as possible. I am on a tight budget in college, and of course this happens on finals week so my ability to game and release stress is shot. Any help is much appreciated. If anyone has had similar problems and has any fixes, I beg you to be kind and help. If push comes to shove, I will try and get a hold of a friend I have that works with computers and see if he can help. I wanted to come here first in an attempt to fix it myself.
Again, my bet is on the motherboard.
And again, thank you all.

**Update**
Upon reading the mobo manual, and finding out my board has an "EZ Debug LED," the CPU light comes on when the crash happens. I am going to try re-seating the CPU.

Solution
Go into device manager and update all of your drivers. My Ryzen rig had done this and it was solved by updating device drivers. Strangely enough the last few time it's been the intel drivers for my wifi card.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
Go into device manager and update all of your drivers. My Ryzen rig had done this and it was solved by updating device drivers. Strangely enough the last few time it's been the intel drivers for my wifi card.

Solution

frumpypants

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

Well, I’m going to have to update my thread again. It just crashed.

I just updated the BIOS to the latest version a few days ago

And to your previous message, I’ll try that if I can get the system running again.
And