Question Random System "Crashing"

DrowntheCat

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Over the past two months I've started encountering an annoying problem while gaming. At seemingly random times while gaming, my screen simply goes black and all noise from the computer other than the fans is silent. It's not a blue screen or other total crash since the power lights on the rig, mouse, and keyboard remain on so I have to manually force a hard restart using the button. Hence there is no crash report made that I can look at to figure out what may have went wrong.

First it started with Total War Three Kingdoms, typically after a few hours of gameplay. Then it happened a few times during XCom Chimera Squad. And now it is happening rather frequently during Cyberpunk 2077, which I know is insanely buggy and unstable but the problem here is clearly something else. A crash to desktop would be one thing, a blue screen would be another, this is...clearly something else.

I have no overclocking going on with the GPU, only with the CPU. I've started keeping up the temperatures of the components on the other monitor but it's hard to get a good picture of what the temperatures are like at the exact moment things go down since it's always a bit of a surprise when it decides to crash. That said, even taking constant glances at the temps during peak stress moments, I never see anything that is hot enough to be worried about. CPU goes up to about 58 C at highest, GPU up to 62 C, motherboard around 45-48 C. It shouldn't be an overheating problem but that's what it feels like - things go back to normal after I left everything cool down for a while. Maybe a power issue? Voltage problem? I don't know.

I'm using an ASRock B450M-HDV motherboard, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.1 ghz overclocked to 3.7 and has always been stable before), and Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti on stock settings.

Thanks for any thoughts.