[SOLVED] Random System freeze

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021
So my System randomly freeze up. It seems as though everything comes to a halt slowly, as though processes are stopping one by one until all have ceased to function. It seems windows is still running when this happens. I can still turn caps lock on an off, but eventually even my mouse freezes. Interestingly enough, the only rgb that freezes in the case is the RAM, aio cooler, and the mobo lights. The GPU and the fan lights continue going. For this reason I thought it had to be either be my OS acting up indicating a problem with my storage memory or my RAM being faulty in one of the dimms. I also checked Samsung Magician to see the health of my storage units and they both came up healthy. I ran memtest and found out there was an error. I took out one set and ran the test again and it passed. I figured this was where my issue was coming from. I booted my pc with just the dimms that passed and it seemed fixed as it lasted long before surprisingly freezing again. After this, I'm at a loss at what it could be. The only other clue is that my pc has not had this issue until recently and my rig is totally brand new built in 2021 around March. Everything is new. Recently i got windows 11 and got it working using media builder tool and a workaround replacing some of the files with files from windows 10 media creation to actually get it to install. Maybe my windows 11 is the problem? So I will thoroughly test the windows 10. The freeze also happens randomly. Sometimes it will go a day with no freeze. Other times it happens right away. This seems regardless of whether idle or running programs. All my Temps look normal as well. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be happening?

System
Mobo: asus rog strix b550-f gaming wifi
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
Gpu: evga Rtx 3080 ultra ftw3
RAM: corsair Vengeance pro 16gb (currently only have this one set on which passed the my second mem test, and the second set of 16gb off assuming that was the set that failed on my first text).
Psu: corsair sf750
Storage: samsung 970 and 980 pro nvme m2 (windows 11 is on the 980 and 10 on the 970)

Solution
Undervolting occurs when there is load on your system. It is not really related to your power supply. (Don't switch PSU's)

Usually, it's in the bios. try overvolting in 0.1-volt increments.
This may help you.

projectfixit

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
I may have a solution.

I had a motherboard that undervolted the ram, so it would lock up randomly.
If you decide to do this, don't overvolt it too much because bad things will happen to your ram.

Do this at your own risk. It could shorten the lifespan of your RAM or break your system.

Edit: Experiment with the lower settings, going up. Once it gets to a point where there are little/no errors. stay at that setting.

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021
I may have a solution.

I had a motherboard that undervolted the ram, so it would lock up randomly.
If you decide to do this, don't overvolt it too much because bad things will happen to your ram.

Do this at your own risk. It could shorten the lifespan of your RAM or break your system.

Edit: Experiment with the lower settings, going up. Once it gets to a point where there are little/no errors. stay at that setting.

So when could this problem of undervolting occur? I had no issues for several months. And how do I go about undervolting exactly on my system? Is it in the ryzen cpu software?

Last edited by a moderator:

projectfixit

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
Undervolting occurs when there is load on your system. It is not really related to your power supply. (Don't switch PSU's)

This may help you.

Solution

Mozuna01

Prominent
Apr 14, 2021

This may help you.

Some clarification. Am I changing cpu voltage under VDDCR CPU VOLTAGE? It has a value of 1.152V. And also, if that's the one do you want me to change it to 1.252V? How much will this raise my Temps more or less?