Question Random System Freezes / LockUps, going slowly insane.

Apr 10, 2020
Hello there people. I am really running out of ideas, therefor I hope that someone could give me new ones or help me to find the issue.

My PC Spec:
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 1909, Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202
CPU: Intel i7-7700k, not overclocked, all in bios set to auto.
Ram: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance LPX - 4x8, running in Dual Channel
MB: Asrock z270 Gaming K6 - Bios Updated, Version 2.30
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G

SSD System: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
SSD Secondary: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPm, 256mb Cache, ST2000DM008
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPm, 256MB Cache, ST2000DM008
HDD3: WD Gold 4TB, 7200RPM, 256MB Cache, WD4003FRYZ

Optical Drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2

Monitor: 24" AOC AG241QG, running @ 1440p, 165hz
Mouse: Logitech G700s - connected via wireless USB receiver
Keyboard: Logitech K360 - connected via wireless USB receiver

Both CPU & GPU have Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on it, max temps that I have seen through various stress tests was 85°
Never seen MB hotter than 55°

Issue 1 - Critical: Random Freezes, really random, nothing in particular seems to be connected to it. Sometimes under load, sometimes when doing near nothing. All I can do, hard turn-off or disconnect power. It has been happening about last 3 weeks, The computer age is roughly 3 years.

Issue 2: Not so important: The screen occasionally "blinks black", like for a second or so, similair effect to changing resolution - this has been present on this system since day one.

What have I tried:

Disk scans / benchmarks etc. with following: HD Tune Pro, AIDA64, Windows error check, Samsung Magician, SeaTools for Windows - never found any issues.

Memory scans: Windows Memory Diagnostic, Memtest86 - it was running for about 5 hours, each round, than I tried swapping the memory sticks, doing them solo etc, never any problem reported.

Tried also all tests for CPU/GPU/Memory with Aida 64, no errors.

Tried Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit "burn in preset", no errors

Tried fresh install of Windows 10 from 3 sources, acting same, but it appears that it happens after some updates, probably the latest ones, however, cannot confirm it, because it is really random..

Tried SFC /scannow

Tried messing around with Bios Settings - also reseted to default.

Tried taking each component out and replacing it - still freezing.

Tried scanning the PC for Viruses , MBAM, Ad-Aware, NOD32, Norton Power Eraser,

Tried CCleaner, Advanced Systemcare.

All drivers up-to date, tried both manufacturer drivers, as well as Iobit Driver booster.

Found one strange driver in Device Manager and the info on internet is very unclear:
Universal Serial Bus Keyboard Controllers: Fintek(R) 501 - when I driver details, I find i2chkburn.sys and FintekIcon1.dll, when I google i2chkburn.sys, some results comes with BSOD/Freezes etc, I disabled it, still freezing and by the way, I have no idea what is that driver for, as it does not appear to be related to any HW I have in my setup nor I ever used.

I tried to look in Event Viewer, but it does not seem that there is anything abnormal ( I do not understand it too much )
WhoCrashed Analyze: Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer.

Tried disabling the C-States and P-States or whatever those power saving things are called.

Few things I run on my PC - - all up to date:

TeamViewer
Comodo Personal Firewall Free
DS4Windows
Sound Blaster Cinema 3
Logitech Gaming Software
Sennheiser Audio
Desktop Ok
Samsung Magician
Intel Rapid Storage Technology
MSI Gaming App
MSI AfterBurner ( only for monitoring the temps, not clocking )
Spybot Anti-Beacon

If anyone has some suggestion, I am willing to try. Even repeat some steps that I have already done. If anyone could use some logs or whatever, point me to it, will gladly provide them. It is really driving me nutts. Stay safe and hope to hear from anyone.

I would suspect one of your mechanical hard drives is causing the problem. You could try disconnecting one or all the drives (shut down first) or disabling them in Device Manager to see if the problem stops. You can also download and run a program called Hard Disk Sentinel. It will check the health of your drives.

eventlog-win10b.png

Apr 10, 2020
I would suspect one of your mechanical hard drives is causing the problem. You could try disconnecting one or all the drives (shut down first) or disabling them in Device Manager to see if the problem stops. You can also download and run a program called Hard Disk Sentinel. It will check the health of your drives.

I have already removed each drive. As I have mentioned in the post "Tried taking each component out and replacing it - still freezing. ". To no avail :(

Apr 10, 2020
Have you tried removing the graphics card and run the computer using the onboard graphics to see if that eliminates the problem?
Have you tried doing a clean install of your graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller?

I have tried running the PC with the Nvidia removed and running on the integrated as well as disabling the integrated and running on Nvidia. Did 3 fresh windows installs. The Display Driver Uninstaller would probably not do anything, as I have tested both GPUs.

Apr 10, 2020
If you go to "Device Manager > Monitors" what is listed?
If you go to "PC settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings> what is listed?

Device Manager>Monitors = AOCAG241QG
Advanced display settings: Display 1: Connected to NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080

Desktop resolution : 2560x1440
Active signal resolution :2560x1440
Refresh rate (Hz): 143 Hz
Bit depth: 8-bit
Color format: RGB
Color space: Standard dynamic range (SDR)