Random System Hangs With Windows 8.1 and 10

Wolfilla

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I'm having a nightmare.

Up until a few days ago I was happily using windows 10 as I have been since it was released, I've had zero problems up until this point.

Basically Windows 10 updated a few days ago and since then I've been experiencing system hangs. Originally it was during the initial windows booting screen, I did a fresh install of windows 10 and it seemed to solve the problem, until it again updated in the evening and then the system hangs came back.

Eventually I decided to wipe the C: drive that I use as my boot drive (this is an SSD, I have another SSD and 1TB HDD that I use for storage and gaming) and perform a completely fresh install, I didn't have a copy of Windows 10 so I instead used my copy of Windows 8, it's no biggie, I always liked 8, so I was fine using it.

Everything seemed to be working fine, I updated to 8.1 and there were no problems. However a few minutes ago my system once again froze whilst I was browsing, and then uppon a manual restart it continuined to hang at the loading screen.

I was smarter this time around so I've made plenty of restore points so I simply restored it to a few hours ago and now it seems fine. I was debating what may have caused this freeze, since the last restore I had installed the Corsair Configuration for my K&M and also the Microsoft Runtime files I needed to render in Sony Vegas. I have no idea if either caused it, but it would make sense.

I'm concerned that this problem will crop up again however and as I use this PC as my main source of income it will be a disaster if I lose any further work.

I'd appreciate any and all help on this issue, thanks in advance.

System Specs:
Intel i5 4670K 3.2Ghz
Nvidia GTX 970
12GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

I'll double check my MOBO but I believe it is a Asus H87-PLUS.

Solution
Use a disk imager (i.e. Drive Cloner Rx, Macrium Reflect, etc) to back up your data and do a full reformatting of the PC to eliminate software issues. If you're still having issues it's likely hardware based.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Use a disk imager (i.e. Drive Cloner Rx, Macrium Reflect, etc) to back up your data and do a full reformatting of the PC to eliminate software issues. If you're still having issues it's likely hardware based.

Solution