[SOLVED] Random temporary freezes

tsukasa213

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
So built a new computer back in Dec and have been trying to track the source of this problem down since then.

The computer will freeze up for 5 to 10 seconds at a time, sometimes stuttering slowly through this time than catching up.
I tested the ram with memtest86 and found I had 2 sticks throwing errors so I pulled them out and the rest tested fine. So the computer ran fine for about a month after that, surprise, it came back and now another stick has thrown the same test 6 error the ones I took out were. So while this appears to be a ram problem, what might be causing more of the ram to fail? The power supply? The motherboard?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xZ9Cdm

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Zenith II Extreme EATX sTRX4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (8 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
memtest65+ ???

Are you referring to memtest86+? If so, that memory tool has not been updated since 2013. It works on older "legacy" type BIOS motherboards, but had issues with UEFI type BIOS motherboards and was discontinued in 2013.

MemTest86 is a good one to use.

tsukasa213

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
So folks, did a bunch more testing. Memtest86 turned up errors with all sticks in when first run immediately after shutdown. Test all memory one stick at a time, no error, tested each slot, no error, tested together again, no error. So as best I can tell is error is only present immediately after shutdown following sustained operation.

Last edited:
memtest65+ ???

Are you referring to memtest86+? If so, that memory tool has not been updated since 2013. It works on older "legacy" type BIOS motherboards, but had issues with UEFI type BIOS motherboards and was discontinued in 2013.

Solution

tsukasa213

Reputable
Feb 22, 2020
memtest65+ ???

Ah yes you are right. I checked what I had downloaded it does appear to be memtest86 and not plus. Sorry for the careless error in my post, I will correct it.