Question Random USB dropouts on two systems ?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
I recently purchased a new KVM switch (supporting dual video out). Once connected, the attached systems began having random dropouts on the keyboard and mouse connections (both via USB, through the switch).

Easy problem to fix, right? Just disconnect the switch. But when I did so and reconnected direct, the dropouts continued-- on both systems. It makes me wonder if the switch itself damaged the USB circuitry on both mobos. Is there a good way to diagnose this?

I recently purchased a new KVM switch (supporting dual video out). Once connected, the attached systems began having random dropouts on the keyboard and mouse connections (both via USB, through the switch).

Easy problem to fix, right? Just disconnect the switch. But when I did so and reconnected direct, the dropouts continued-- on both system. It makes me wonder if the switch itself damaged the USB circuitry on both mobos. Is there a good way to diagnose this?
If there is a short on the external devices USB ports it may have damaged the keyboard and mouse yes only way to really test is switch them between several devices

I have no experience with that device, but you can get a 3rd known good USB device and check for operation on the affected PCs ports to get an idea of what's going on. If the PC ports are good I would check the keyboard and mouse on a known good USB port on any device.