Random USB sounds

Apocane

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
When I'm sitting on my computer I hear these sounds coming occasionally. It's the same melody that comes when you connect/disconnect an USB-port. It's only the melody, but nothing appears on the screen. I've tried disconnecting all USB-ports that are not keyboard or mouse, but nothing happens. What can it be?

Solution
The noise you are referring to occurs whenever a device is connected or disconnected. Devices other than USB can cause the sound. You may want to double check any digital connections to monitors. If the monitors are the culprit, you may need to update your graphics drivers to resolve the issue.

Otherwise, you may also want to leave a Device Manager window open so that you can watch for devices disappearing and reappearing. Simply right click down in the bottom left corner where you would launch the Start Screen and select Device Manager from the administrative tools menu.

Other possible connections which could cause that sound could include Bluetooth and FireWire devices.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The noise you are referring to occurs whenever a device is connected or disconnected. Devices other than USB can cause the sound. You may want to double check any digital connections to monitors. If the monitors are the culprit, you may need to update your graphics drivers to resolve the issue.

Otherwise, you may also want to leave a Device Manager window open so that you can watch for devices disappearing and reappearing. Simply right click down in the bottom left corner where you would launch the Start Screen and select Device Manager from the administrative tools menu.

Other possible connections which could cause that sound could include Bluetooth and FireWire devices.

Solution