Sep 15, 2023
So i've had this issue for the past couple of months and I can't figure out what is causing it, many forums that i've read point to it being an issue with my GPU, which it could be but it's not replicable. For example, I can go weeks without issues, but then get 2 or 3 in a day, they can happen which nothings running/just on Desktop, they can happen when watching Youtube videos, and they CAN happen when playing more demanding games like Horizon Zero Dawn but it's not that common, and then it'll sometimes happen when playing League.

To fix it I just reboot my pc multiple times as it'll freeze upon loading into Windows or soon after, I launch in Safe mode, do the DDU stuff then install a new driver, I've tried many different drivers and they don't seem to change anything but DDU fixes the issue pretty much every time.

I've reinstalled windows twice, i've tried multiple different drivers as I stated, i've done memtest and had no issues, I can't replicate the issue on demand, can happen with nothing open or loads of things open. Tried reseating the gpu, tried new display port cables, tried uninstalling MSI afterburner and tried underclocking my GPU all to no avail.

I am starting to think it could be a ram issue? Mainly saying this because of how random it is and when I shut down my pc I get a brief error showing up saying how some program is trying to reach memory that has been freed. Also, one of the more recent errors from my minidump stated that I had an 'unexpected kernal mode trap (7f) which apparently could be linked to ram.

My rig is old and i'm planning to upgrade it hopefully within a couple of months but here's the info;

i7 4790k
1080ti (Originally had a 980ti but that died)
16gb DDR3 ram, nothing special
Some MSI krait motherboard
Multiple SSD's and HDD's plugged in and it's all watercooled
PSU is 1000 watts platinum or gold, can't remember as I removed the sticker on it a while ago
And my monitor as some old Acer predator 100hz 3440x1440

Lutfij

Titan
PSU is 1000 watts platinum or gold, can't remember as I removed the sticker on it a while ago
Please pass on the make and model of your PSU and it's age. 1000W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Look through your invoices if you have to...otherwise source a reliably built PSU that has at least 750W of power at the entire system's disposal. By source, I mean borrow from a friend or neighbor not buy.

You forgot to mention the model of your MSI motherboard. BIOS version for said motherboard? Pleas mention the OS as well.

I've reinstalled windows twice,
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Sep 15, 2023
Please pass on the make and model of your PSU and it's age. 1000W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Look through your invoices if you have to...otherwise source a reliably built PSU that has at least 750W of power at the entire system's disposal. By source, I mean borrow from a friend or neighbor not buy.

You forgot to mention the model of your MSI motherboard. BIOS version for said motherboard? Pleas mention the OS as well.

I've reinstalled windows twice,
Where did you source the installer for the OS?
Thanks for the reply, the mother board is an MSI Z97S SLI Krait, and i'm using the Bios version from their website for this motherboard, not updated it since I got it many years back, I'm using Windows 10 and I reinstalled it twice via USB using Windows media creation tool. The Power Supply, I remember it having an R on the sticker so I believe it to be the RM1000 from Corsair, don't have an invoice for the parts as it was so long ago. If it's really important I can unplug everything and pull it out to check that it is the RM1000 as there should be a little sticker on the side of the kettle cable but i'm like 99% sure it's that PSU.

Would just like to add, yesterday I played Mortal Kombat 1 for about 3 hours then got a BSOD, had one around a week prior and I was playing Pokemmo whilst watching youtube. I've been playing MK1 for over 12 hours straight today and had no issues at all with anything, this is why i'm doubting it's my graphics card personally but it could still be I guess.