Random voltage spikes?

ihtflout

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Running an overclocked 4770k at 1.260 volts using 1.250 VCore and 0.010 volts additional offset (BIOS won't let me set a 0.00V offset or disable it so I dialed in the smallest value)

Perfectly stable and all monitoring software (CPU-Z, HWmonitor and HWinfo) all reports 1.260V on VCore at most. All stresstests and userbenchmark when running still shows VCore at 1.260V max stable.

However when HWmonitor is left open in the background and I complete tasks even such as opening browsers or switching between programs, I check back to HWmonitor and occasionally see the max VCore (it's labelled VID- but am assuming VCore- is this correct?) is at 1.342V- I've never seen it stay at 1.342V so at the most it's at this voltage for a second or two.

Is this even safe for my CPU, or is this the VID and not actually the VCORE? I have load line calibration disabled so I can't be that

Solution
Hi, random voltage spikes are safe unless they are unreasonably high. When overclocking you should worry more about your temps (below 80c is safe). You should Also enable load line calibration (LLC) as it makes your system more stable on higher overclocks.

Happy Overclocking

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Hi, random voltage spikes are safe unless they are unreasonably high. When overclocking you should worry more about your temps (below 80c is safe). You should Also enable load line calibration (LLC) as it makes your system more stable on higher overclocks.

Happy Overclocking

Solution