[SOLVED] Random wallpaper selection

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I have selected slideshow, turned off the shuffle feature and that it should change the wallpaper every hour (unlike win 7 were I could select a better amount of hours) but instead of having the pictures that should follow, it continues to randomly select any picture from my folder. At times even inconsistent like after 10 min or after several hours.

How can I stop it from randomly selecting pictures from my folder?

Solution
I just tested this "feature" of Win10 and it appears to work for me. All 9 images were displayed 1 at a time, in order with Shuffle off. I had it set to 1 minute but some images lasted longer. It might have worked for me because I copied the images into a new folder 1 at a time and then selected that new folder (could have something to do with file date/times).

(unlike win 7 were I could select a better amount of hours)
Press Win+R (opens Run dialog) and type in (copy/paste):
explorer.exe shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper
and press OK. (You can also create a shortcut to it.) This opens the older slideshow settings with better fine tuning on the hours. This might also...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have to select the photos you want to appear or it will use all the photos in the folder.

You can also start a slideshow with only the specific images in a folder you want to use. To select the images in the folder you want, hold down the Ctrl or Shift key on your keyboard to select the pictures you want to use. That will give you the same Picture Tools option in the Manage tab with the option to start a slideshow.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/play-photo-slideshow-windows-10-file-explorer/

its not clear but hold CTRL or shift while clicking the photos, I think ctrl does 1 at a time, shift grabs groups?

Last edited:

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014

Wolfshadw

Titan
There is a setting to turn off "Shuffle" This will make your images change in order.
There is no longer an option to select files in a folder like there was in Windows 7. You can only select the folder. I have set up a folder with only the images I want for desktop backgrounds.
I believe there may be a Registry Setting that allows you to override the settings under Preferences, but I don't recall what it is at the moment. As always when dealing with the Registry, ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

-Wolf sends

gardenman

Splendid
I just tested this "feature" of Win10 and it appears to work for me. All 9 images were displayed 1 at a time, in order with Shuffle off. I had it set to 1 minute but some images lasted longer. It might have worked for me because I copied the images into a new folder 1 at a time and then selected that new folder (could have something to do with file date/times).

(unlike win 7 were I could select a better amount of hours)
explorer.exe shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921} -Microsoft.Personalization\pageWallpaper
and press OK. (You can also create a shortcut to it.) This opens the older slideshow settings with better fine tuning on the hours. This might also fix your ordering problem (un-select them then re-select them in that dialog).

I've read that it can have to do with the order you have the images displayed in Explorer too, although I'm not sure if that's true or not (sort by Name, Date, etc).

Solution

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014

and press OK. (You can also create a shortcut to it.) This opens the older slideshow settings with better fine tuning on the hours. This might also fix your ordering problem (un-select them then re-select them in that dialog).

I've read that it can have to do with the order you have the images displayed in Explorer too, although I'm not sure if that's true or not (sort by Name, Date, etc).
Thanks. I will keep an eye on it and see if this works.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014

so far so good. Now it changes to the pics I have in the order I want.

On a slight off topic:
Can any one tell me what the path is of the MAIL? I want to link it to my G keys but I simply can't find the exe file. I have googled it but half way through the given path, nothing appears anymore. This is the path I keep on finding from Google:
C:\Users\[User Name]Your [User Name] will vary depending on how you set up your computer. If you do not see your own name, your files are most likely in something generic, such as Owner or User. \AppData\Local\Comms\Unistore\data.

After AppData, the mentioned Local is not available. And yes, I have made sure that it should show hidden folders.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
The "AppData" folder is there, you just can't see it.
Click Start / Run and type in:
%localappdata%
and press OK.

You can also just type it in in the Explorer bar at the top. Once you get to C:\Users\UserName you can add \AppData\Local and press Enter and it should open.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/269...folder-and-how-to-find-it-if-you-need-it.html
Thanks but nope, not there either. When I follow the path from Comms/unistore/data, instead of the wished MAIL exe, i have only one file in there. AggregateCach.uca.
I never had such issues to find an exe file.

gardenman

Splendid
If the Mail app that you are looking for is one of those newer UWP apps, then you don't have direct access to the executable. You can create special shortcuts to such apps on your desktop (and elswhere).

Try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78108-app-commands-list-windows-10-a.html

If that doesn't help, then getting the command line to run the program seems like a much more involved difficult task. That's one of the reasons that I personally avoid those "apps". I haven't tried any of these, but these 2 links may help.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/57000-method-open-any-windows-10-apps-command-line.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-command/836354c5-b5af-4d6c-b414-80e40ed14675