[SOLVED] Random WHEA with dump file creation failed errors

Dec 12, 2020
I'm facing very random WHEA Uncorrectable bsods and having trouble finding the culprit.
My system specs (all components are newly bought):
  • Asus Rog strix b460-i
  • Corsair SF600 Gold
  • Intel i5 10400F
  • MSI Ventus XS 2060
  • 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 2666MHz
  • 1TB M.2 NVME Samsung PM981a, (installed at PCI-e + SATA slot)
I have just built my PC for about 3 weeks now (since Nov 28). Here are the incidents that I have had:
  1. Nov 28, WHEA while PC was unattended, only spotify was running. This was the time after finished installing Windows 10 for about 10-15 minutes (the installation USB was created using newly-downloaded windows media creation tool). No additional driver was updated/installed yet (Nvidia driver was also left at the version Windows had automatically installed), Windows was not activated yet. Asus Armoury Crate was installed.
  2. Nov 28, WHEA while idling at Starcraft 2 welcome screen. Windows had been activated. I don't remember exactly about the following: I believe MSI Afterburner and Riva tuner statistics were installed, but for sure just for showing temps and FPS. I have never done any tweaking on MSI afterburner.
  3. Dec 2, PC freezes (with freezing sound) while playing Serious Sam 3, no BSOD after 10-15 seconds, so I had to hard-restart the PC. At this point I had installed newest Nvidia driver and other drivers suggested by Asus Crate was installed.
  4. Dec 3, ran Prime95 for around 6-8 hours, no problems detected. And after I stopped Prime95, when I was browsing Chrome with Youtube running on another tab, WHEA occurred. There was also a freezing sound.
  5. Dec 6, automatic restart after booting the PC and left it at login screen for about 3 minutes, no BSOD
  6. Dec 6, Ubuntu 20.04 froze for about 10-15 seconds before rebooting the PC automatically, right at the point I was using the search feature of PhpStorm
  7. Dec 11, WHEA while in loading screen of League of Legends
  8. Dec 12, WHEA after some matches of Starcraft 2, while I was looking at the stats of the score screen. I was clicking around for a while, and then WHEA happened when I was not clicking, only looking
Other details:
  • I installed Ubuntu 20.04 as dual boot on Nov 29
  • I re-installed Windows, using another installation USB, on Dec 4
  • I disabled Windows Fast Boot on Dec 9
  • All BSODs so far are WHEA. They all stuck at 0% (in some of the times, I left it there for 3-5 minutes but still no progress, other times I just hard-restart immediately). There are 'Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.' errors in the Windows Event Logger.
  • The times when there was freezing sound, I was using audio output via HDMI
  • I ran Heaven Unigine for 1-2 hour on Nov 29 with no error. GPU temps were at 7x-8x (celcius) max. Ran Prime95 and all kinds of tests of OCCT (Dec 4 after Windows reinstallation) with no error, CPU/GPU temps during the tests were also at 7x-8x max. At normal state, only web browsing/spotify, CPU is at around 4x, GPU around 3x, SSD around 4x-5x
  • Ran memtest86+ on Dec 4 (after Windows reinstallation), 4 passes with no error. Windows memory diagnostic tool on Dec 13, no error
  • CrystalDiskInfo shows good health (100%)
  • I left all mainboard settings at default. Initially BIOS version was 0401, I updated it to 0707 on Nov 28 (after the 2 WHEAs), reset CMOS battery on Dec 12 (before the WHEA later that day)
  • After Windows reinstallation, I have only (manually) installed drivers suggested in Asus Crate and latest Nvidia driver, HWINFO64. (No MSI Afterburner, no RTSS, no AI Suite)
  • Ran sfc /scannow and found no error
  • I have played tens of Starcraft II matches, 6-7 stages of Serious Sam 3, tens of League of Legends games with no error. Except for the incident when playing Serious Sam 3 with no BSOD, I notice the PC load during other incidents was pretty much close to idling. But I have also tried leaving the PC idling (completely or with spotify/youtube on chrome) for 6-8 hours a few times, but there was no error
  • My usage ratio of Ubuntu to Windows is about 3 to 7
  • Related screenshots and logs are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QPPzK7AnkABzEUFRXpIDY145JgIZKiFD?usp=sharing (there are 2 recent hwinfo64 logs that were recorded until the 2 corresponding WHEA errors on Dec 11, 12)
Since the error have been occurring so randomly, I would really appreciate if someone can help me identify the exact culprit, so that I can get a replacement for my hardware while they are still new/in warranty.
FYI I purchased the components from different vendors, which makes it vital to identify the exact component.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 6, Ubuntu 20.04 froze for about 10-15 seconds before rebooting the PC automatically, right at the point I was using the search feature of PhpStorm

if it hadn't crashed at all in Ubuntu you could blame Drivers. Fact it crashes in both Ubuntu and windows shows its not software to blame. or at very least, its not windows.

WHEA errors not normally caused by programs and rarely by drivers. WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Oddly enough Linux can get them too. They are a error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. they can be caused by any hardware.

you done much of the testing i would have suggested.

Run this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool - i...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dec 6, Ubuntu 20.04 froze for about 10-15 seconds before rebooting the PC automatically, right at the point I was using the search feature of PhpStorm

if it hadn't crashed at all in Ubuntu you could blame Drivers. Fact it crashes in both Ubuntu and windows shows its not software to blame. or at very least, its not windows.

WHEA errors not normally caused by programs and rarely by drivers. WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Oddly enough Linux can get them too. They are a error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. they can be caused by any hardware.

you done much of the testing i would have suggested.

Run this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool - i doubt it find anything since you already run prime 95.

Shame you can't run without a gpu on that CPU, why intel do that... i w as going to suggest a bare bones build but its pointless if all you can remove is 1 ram stick...

Last edited:
Reactions: datbth
Solution
Dec 12, 2020
hi Colif, thanks for your reply.
I ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool once before and it passed.
I have also just ran another time and uploaded the result image and log into the GDrive folder (the same one I linked in the first post)

Dec 12, 2020
Update: haven't faced the issue since I disabled CPU C states via mainboard bios menu. Though I have started using the machine for my full-time work now, so my usage ratio has been roughly ubuntu 70% - windows 30% for the last 2 weeks