Random Windows 8 restart

DavidRappl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Hello

My computer sometimes does a cold shutdown, like someone would unplug the power cable, and then it restarts again normaly. This happends independent of the load. I can not figure out why this happens.

My specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula (BIOS 1903)
CPU: Intel 4770K at 4.2Ghz
GPU: Gainward 690 GTX
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair AX860i - 860W

I don't think the GPU is the reason, because it already happened before I installed the 690 GTX. The PSU should be able to deliver more then enought power.

CPU config: OC to 4.2Ghz, Core Voltage set to offset mode. PPL overvolting disabled. The voltage is around 1.09 (idle) - 1.29V (load). The temps never go above 67C under load.

Does anybody know, what can cause those random cold shutdowns?

Any help is much appreciated.

IrvSp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013

This happened to me recently. About 10 or 15 minutes after powering up, it just shutdown and then powered up again. I could find NO dump, log files, or event, that indicated this had a cause. Every day for a week. I had 2 differences though, twice my screen became a set of multi-colored lines, and once a BSOD I could hardly read as it has a 'blurred' font, and stayed up briefly. It was IRQL_LESS..... one. All things then pointed to my video card.

I am on W8 and I have an ATI Radeon HD 4780, and older card (computer over 4 years old), and I did replace the W8 MS video drivers with an ATI Legacy driver and the latest Catalyst drivers. Thinking one of those caused some problems (I did have video problems, not playing, in Live Tiles) I reverted to the MS supplied drivers. DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

I got 'Speccy' and Aida64 and looked at the h/w. Specifically the temps. CPU (i7-920) was in the high 40's C and the video card was 80C. I was even running these when the computer basically dropped power. Saw no 'spikes' but I thought both of these were high compared to similar computer my wife has.

So I opened the case and made sure all connections were secure for power.

I used compressed air to clean the fans I could get too. One was the CPU as I didn't remove the cowl and fan. However I left the case open and turned on the computer. NO problem? Was failing every day before? Was it heat related? I can't understand how a computer could 'fix itself' after a heat failure and then power back on and stay on until turned off, hours later?

After 2 days of now failure I removed the cowl and fan from the CPU, it was caked in dust on the cooling heatsink fins. Brushed them off and then used compressed air. Had to remove the video card to get to the fan, it was 'dusty' as was the cooling duct. Used compress air to clean that. Left the case open and power on and ran the sensor diagnostics. CPU temps dropped 5C...

Two days later I closed the case. Has been running without failing for 3 days now.

Maybe you have a loose cable or some dust build-up. Possibly a fan is not working?

Good luck.

DavidRappl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Thanks for your answer.

There is no dust in it and the components are pretty new. So dust can not be the problem.
Does anybody know what component can cause this type of them? Is it likely that the motherboard or the CPU is the problem?

DavidRappl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Well, this is strange. Now the PC does it again. I have not changed my hardware, nor the software. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this? Could this come from a lose CPU 8pin connector?

TRENDING THREADS