Question Randomly disconnecting while playing games

May 1, 2019
I usually play league of legends with my wife and we have both been disconnecting randomly throughout games. I've had several techs come out and they never managed to solve the issue.

What's weird is that when one of is is disconnecting, sometimes the other person will still be able to play for a while. Sometimes the other person doesn't even disconnect at the same time. Other times we both dc at the same time. We are both playing wired and I've done a million router/modem reboots/factory reset. Tried disabling wireless. Nothing seems to help.

I honestly don't know if we disconnect randomly throughout the day because if it happens while watching a video, it usually doesn't last that long where the video will stop and have to buffer. Every time we disconnect, it lasts about 15-30 seconds and it happens as frequently as every 30 seconds to every couple minutes while playing games.

Its happened on wifi as well- we tried one one wifi/one wired, both wired, both on wifi- same issue. We have also tried a few different modem/routers. Right now I'm using a Netgear C7800 and my ISP is Mediacom.

Anyone have any suggestions? So frustrated at this point.

Pretty standard troubleshooting methods.

Leave constant ping run to your router in a background cmd window. When the game has a issue check if you see packet loss. If you do it means you have a issue with your pc or your router.

If the router test is fine leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8. Again when the game has issues see if this ip does. If it does not you have a more complex failure than a simple outage.

You might get the isp to fix this with just these results. Show them nothing lost to router but loss to 8.8.8.8 Hopefully they are not jerks and try to blame the google dns server (ie 8.8.8.8). If they do you can run a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and leave a constant ping run to hop 2 in the trace. This should be the ISP first router that connects to your house.