[SOLVED] Randomly Overclocking

Nov 27, 2021
Specs:
i7-11700k
GTX 970
Z490 A Pro Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz

My CPU is randomly overclocking to over 4.5GHz and essentially edging 100 C. Most of the time it hovers around it's 3.6GHz and will be at 45-50 C.
I thought I had fixed it yesterday after I built the computer because it was doing it while I was in BIOS even before I installed Windows. I honestly have no idea what it could be.
The only theories I have are that my RAM was showing at 2133 MHz instead of the 3200 they are supposed to be but I just changed that back to test if that was it and maybe I used too much thermal paste since it was my first time using it, but I barely put a drop down.
Here is what core temp looks like at the time of posting. It's showing 5GHz while task manager is showing it fluctuating between 1.3 and 3.6 GHz like it should be but will also randomly show it going above 4.2GHz
22AWhQU.png

Nov 27, 2021
As well as when I launched Halo it forced 100% utilization in the intro but after I loaded it went back down to 25% and threw temps up to 100C and they fell back down to 50C. But then once it settled the utilization went down and temps stayed up. Here is what the temps look like.
IKNmuBy.png

aznbull

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
That's normal behaviour for this CPU, you can disable "turbo boost V3" in the bios till you get a better CPU cooler. Most high-end CPUs from Intel and AMD needs beefy Air coolers or AIOs that are 240mm and up just to keep the temperature at a comfortable level.