Randomly Restarting new computer build

Jul 10, 2018
My new computer keeps randomly restarting without warning and I can't figure out why.

I just upgraded my computer. Here's what I got:
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming PRO AM4
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 RAM
SSD: Samsung 250GB NVMe SSD
HDD: I plan to keep my old 1TB HDD.
I also got a new install of Windows 10. I installed windows 10 onto the new Samsung SSD, and reformatted my old HDD to have extra storage.

This is the 2nd time I have ever put together my own computer so I'm pretty new at it. I got it all hooked up and Windows installed without issues. But now my computer keeps randomly restarting itself. There are no errors, no blue screen or any kind of warning. The screen just goes black and Windows will restart.

I thought the issue was my old hard drive, but I unplugged it from the mobo and it still restarted. Then I thought it was the old power supply but I just replaced that with a new Corsair power supply, and that didn't fix the issue. What else could it be? I can see the CPU fan and my 2 case fans are running so I didn't think it was an overheating issue. I did set the bios to 3200 for the RAM, is that the next most likely issue? Or any other ideas?

Solution

Set the RAM to 2933 to 3000MHz in the BIOS and see if the issues goes away.
What's the model # of that RAM kit?
I don't see any Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) kit higher than 3000MHz listed on the MSI QVL.

Set the RAM to 2933 to 3000MHz in the BIOS and see if the issues goes away.
What's the model # of that RAM kit?
I don't see any Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) kit higher than 3000MHz listed on the MSI QVL.

Solution
Jul 10, 2018
RAM is: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK8GX4M2B3200C16R

I haven't ever heard of the MSI QVL. Can you post a link to it? That sounds like something good for me to check for next time. And I'm going set the RAM back to 2933 when I get home to see if that works.

If you visit MSI page for your motherboard you will see the RAM Qualified Vendors List (QVL)
There are two columns you should look: RAM speed and Supported speed.
RAM speed: is the speed stated by RAM manufacturer
Supported speed.: is the highest speed that is supported (tested) on the motherboard with the series CPU. That could be manually tweak in the BIOS to get faster speed.

In you want faster RAM then is a good idea to get RAM that has been tested by the motherboard manufacturer (or the RAM manufacturer) to be compatible at faster speeds than the max speed specified by AMD.

Jul 10, 2018
Thanks so much for the helpful info! I had never heard of the QVL so I appreciate learning about it.

The RAM speed does appear to be the problem. My computer had reset itself twice in about 1.5 hours yesterday morning. As soon as I got home from work I clocked it in bios down to 2933, and it didn't have any problems the rest of the evening (it was probably on for about 6 hours with no issues).

Glad that was resolved.
Maybe in the near future we might be able to run it faster, if the motherboard manufacturer add support by updating the BIOS. Last year, I couldn't go above 2400MHz on that motherboard. Even though I don't see any difference between 2400MHz and 3000MHz anyways.