PIII 500mhz. 128meg ram, 20gig harddisk and XP SP1, hopefully SP2.
American Megatrends BIOS, therefore a whitebox.

The computer restarts randomly for no reason on bootup, while running
and particularly when running a resource-intensive program, such as the
installation program for SP2 (botched twice).

The harddisk was wiped completely and fresh XP Pro Sp1 installed.

Same issue.

Automatic restart disabled, same issue (random reboot)

Inside, all the caps are fine (had a similar issue on the IBM machine
I'm using now).

Swapped out the 128meg ram stick, and put a known good one.

Same issue, perhaps worsened.

I pulled the data cables from the hdd and CD drive, as well as a 10gig
or so hdd that was also in the machine (completely unplugged it). I
shot contact cleaner on them and reinstalled. Did the same thing on the
ram as well. Same issue.

It isn't a power cable issue.

So to recap:

Random Reboots
Fresh XP Pro SP1 with no software except ZoneAlarm Pro, Firefox and
Norton Antivirus 03 + Utilities 02.
RAM is good, and I wore a anti-static band and touched the power
supplies.
Pentium III 500mhz
Caps good
Restarts more often under high load or it might just be perception.

So what's the deal?

Oh yes and it has Office XP Professional w/Front Page on it as well.
But that is all the software. Outlook and Access weren't installed.

Cooling is good. Opened case and shot cold air directly at the
processor.