[SOLVED] Randomly started running free tools from antivirus companies and found Win32/Virlock ?

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi Memebers,

I started noticing my PC was running sluggish and not quite at its best.
What I do is I normally run these free tools supplied by Anti Virus scanners and just make sure nothing bad has been installed on my PC.
Today when I started using ESET free tools "Viralock Cleaner" it found something.

When I googled this name outlook came up alot from the search engine.
After scan was complete ESET tool found this Viralock inside

[2021.06.21 11:30:29.406] - INFO: Winlogon value's data: path:[SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit], data: [C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,]
[2021.06.21 11:30:29.406] - WARNING: Found infected Winlogon value [Userinit]
[2021.06.21 11:30:29.406] - INFO: Found malicious winlogon entry.
[2021.06.21 11:30:29.406] - INFO: Win32/Virlock found

I dont know much about this malware if anyone could enlighten me and where I could have aquired it from (email, file downloads etc.).

Thanks for reading and replying,

Madne$$

Solution
Per @Mandark

"We can’t tell you where it came from. only you can do that because nobody knows where you go on the web and what you do. "

In fact if you ( @madne$$) continue following past habits it is all likely to get worse. There are all too many bogus fixes and even harmful fixes to be found.

As for the purpose of any given malware: steal data, ransom your data, take over your computer(s), just vandalize your system, spread viruses - bad things. Any and all perhaps....

My recommendation is a full clean Windows 10 reinstall.

Then stay with Windows Defender for AV and malware protection. No other AV software needed.

Adopt safe browsing habits and watch out for tricky links and misleading buttons tempting...

madne$$

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
We can’t tell you where it came from. only you can do that because nobody knows where you go on the web and what you do.

Absolutely just more on the lines of would it come through a downloaded file or visiting a page?
or clicking on Emails

Or it could come from all 3 kind of like Worms are mainly from Emails

Ralston18

Titan
Per @Mandark

"We can’t tell you where it came from. only you can do that because nobody knows where you go on the web and what you do. "

In fact if you ( @madne$$) continue following past habits it is all likely to get worse. There are all too many bogus fixes and even harmful fixes to be found.

As for the purpose of any given malware: steal data, ransom your data, take over your computer(s), just vandalize your system, spread viruses - bad things. Any and all perhaps....

My recommendation is a full clean Windows 10 reinstall.

Then stay with Windows Defender for AV and malware protection. No other AV software needed.

Adopt safe browsing habits and watch out for tricky links and misleading buttons tempting you to "click here".

Do not visit sketchy websites or click unknown/unexpected links in emails.

Clean install:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Solution