Ranked PSU list

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Proximon - Don't just consider the 80+ certifications. Do it! Energy efficiency should be one of the deciding factors and it will save you a lot of time too. They have a complete database at their web site that can be downloaded. I refer to it every once in a while.

I'm going to drop the color scheme and replace it with manageable symbols... smileys I think.

bronze1.jpg

silver.jpg

gold.jpg

Wow thats a very interesting list, never would have expected dell to have so many 80+ gold ones. The colored smileys will make it even easier because they are the right color too.

This is looking like its going to turn into a very intensive project, it might be best if we split it between a few people.

About the black list, we may want to do that by series and note any exception to that rule, like the antec basiq's except the 500 watt which does well, or definitive stay clears like that 450 watt raidmax.

This is looking like its going to turn into a very intensive project, it might be best if we split it between a few people.

If you are volunteering, pick an amp range and go for it :) This is obviously not the final thread, we can put it together later.

There seems to be a 10 image limit. I need someone to install these smileys into the smiley list... I can convert to gif if needed.

Smileys uploaded and pending validation, i converted them into gifs, they come out to be like 1k a piece.

I will start working on a 55-64 Amp range, thats about 650 - 800 so its the common one for dual GPU setups. Im going to be spending a lot of time on jonnyguru over the next few days i think.

Ah thanks Hunter, I actually just figured it out myself. Thanks for the help! You've just made this a certainty.

Proximon:1
Proximon:2
Proximon:3

When they come up.

Obviously would have been better to have them called bronze, sliver, and gold :p

[:hunter315:1] [:hunter315:2] [:hunter315:3] They live! :( alright maybe not quite yet damn, that little box was deceptive

I used the same naming scheme as you did.

Now if we can get someone to take the 500-650 block we will have all of the major areas of the PSU spectrum covered.

Yeah I think that will have to be broken down more. 32-40A will cover the 500W crowd, and 41- 54 will go from the likes of the 550VX to the TP-650.

31A and below seems to be firmly the office/HTPC segment so that can be done last.

We'll probably have to split the 76+ area into two as well, for practical reasons.... CF 5970 is going to require some real muscle.

20-31
32-40 jtt283
41-54
55-64 Hunter315
65-75 Proximon
76 - 120+ Skora
(This last group is actually smaller so I've left the whole range in one group. It will mostly be 80 and 90A

I'm sure I'll be able to do more sections, but that's the start.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
ok....i see all the big names on here...just wanted to add my 2cents worth
what about split rails over the 12V? my bro has an el-cheapo branded PSU, which i thought was ****, but apparently it has 84A over 4 12V rails.... whats with that? can you trust it? ill get the brand to you.
I know its off topic, but i think how many rails should also be mentioned, even briefly in your 1-8 list u have at the very start of the link

you guys are what makes this awesome...thanks :D

As Jonny has shown over and over agin, there is no real difference between multi rail PSUs and single rail. There is NO such thing as trapped power. I think the only thing I'd mention is you can't just add the individual rails together. 18A + 18A != 36A, but often only 22A.

This should probably be linked to somewhere in the first post
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036

Micky_lund you may want to take a look at this thread about single vs multi rail PSUs, but i would really suggest reading through the entire PSU FAQ its very informative.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

What those current ratings actually mean is the point at which the PSU will trip and shut the rail down, continuing with the picture that Proximon posted, you can draw up to 18 amps from each rail, if you try to draw 18.5 it will shut down to protect itself, however the 12 volt source itself cannot put out more than 80 amps of power, or about 13.3 amps per rail if the load is evenly distributed, so even though you could draw 17 amps per rail without triping any individual rail, the source for those rails would be over taxed and shut the unit down as a whole.

The reason you cannot just add the rails is because they have a common source, if they each had an individual 12 volt source that was powered off the AC in then yes you could add them, but the added hardware to do that would make PSUs obscenely expensive and horribly inefficiencient, there are some good PSU that you can just add the rails on, certain Antecs and OCZs, but thats only because they rate theirs honestly.

In the end the number of rails a PSU has is totally irrelevant since its really the combined power we care about in the end. Even intel changed the ATX specs from requiring the CPU on a second rail to recommending it so they atleast have come to believe that separating your rails doesnt provide you added benefits unless the PSU is crap to begin with.

I cannot speak for PSU's over 700 watts, but every "multi-rail" PSU below that level that I checked was just a single rail PSU. Both of my Antecs (a 550 watt TP3 and a 650 watt TP3) were advertised as three rail power supplies. But measuring with an ohmmeter showed a short circuit between any two yellow wires on any connector. Opening them up showed three clusters of yellow wires labeled 12V1, 12V2, and 12V3. Checking underneath the circuit board showed all three pads tied together on both PSU's.

I also have a couple of Cool-Max PSU's (hey, that's one of the better PSU's available in Saudi Arabia :( ) that are advertised as dual rail PSU's. Same is true of these.

I'd say to ignore the whole multirail thing and go with total 12 volt amps.

I wrote, "I'd say to ignore the whole multirail thing and go with total 12 volt amps. "

I'd say to ignore the whole multirail thing and go with total 12 volt amps unless the PSU is a true multi-rail PSU. :)

And bump.

My work schedule is 4x10 and Internet access is monitored and a lot of [forum] sites are blocked. Jonny, HardwareSecrets, and HardOCP are among those which aren't though, so I really think I should contribute to this, especially on the lower end. It could be slow, but please PM me on how you would like submissions formatted. I believe I can do something.

tecmo34

Administrator
Proximon... Images and unique smileys are limited to 10 per post. I found that out when doing my build guide. To add more pics to my post, I have to combine images into one "big" image. You can use unlimited number of standard smilelys like :) :D :( :p You could utilize them intead but it won't look as nice as your unique smileys or go back to color coating.

I agree this limit needs to be removed or increased as it effects the ability to post useful threads as the OP wants.