Question Ransomware Decryption Assistance

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I think that this deserves a topic of its own. As a long time member of a number of online communities involved in computer technical support, over time you find yourself referring individuals on one site to another when resources exist elsewhere that offer better support.

In the case of ransomware/cryptomalware, that would be the Ransomware Help & Tech Support forum at Bleeping Computer. No one can or will guarantee that they can get your files decrypted, but the staff on that particular forum offer the best and deepest expertise I have yet encountered with regard to cleaning up after a ransomware attack.

It is well worth availing yourself of their services, which come at no cost other than creating an account there and following their instructions for How to Post a Topic Asking for Help With Ransomware.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Proactive backups laugh in the face of ransomware.

Not that I don't agree with you, as I've harped on the necessity of backing up at virtually every opportunity, but I know better than to believe that the majority of folks out there are doing them.

How this has not become "standard operating procedure" by this point in time, after decades and untold millions of failures for myriad reasons that have been widely reported, I will never know. It seems that the attitude, "It will never happen to me," is just too strong.

Living through the loss once is typically more than enough to convert individuals to having backup media and taking routine backups for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: digitalgriffin