[SOLVED] Ransomware windows has detected a problem and has locked computer.

Ferdly1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
I was browsing the internet using windows edge when i got his message. (
Windows has detected a problem and has locked your computer. )
Please call Microsoft support team and they give a number. I know this is ransomware so i do nothing. I have gotten this message several times in a year. The only thing I have done in past was reboot computer and it comes up without any problems. This time I used task manager to end the process. I am running multiple monitors on my computer. Although one screen is locked the others were not. I also looked in download files and found an html file labeled This computer is blocked that i deleted.
My question is there any way of stopping this from happening since i did not download this file?

Solution
Check your browser's extensions. Probably it's sitting somewhere there. I'm not using Edge and don't know where to go there, but when I had similar problems in Chrome (I use Chrome browser), I just went in settings/advanced/ and at the very bottom there is "Restore settings to their original defaults" & "Clean up computer ". When I had this problem in the past, Chrome didn't have Clean up computer ", so the first option "Restore settings to their original defaults" helped to fix it. So, check your Edge settings and if you see something like "reset browser settings" or something like that, do it and if it's a browser virus this should fix it. Obviously after that be more careful what extension you install in browser or what permission...

USAFRet

Titan
It's not "ransomware", but a popup meant to scare you.
Actual ransomware would have actually encrypted some/most/all of your data in the system.

This thing is just meant to scare you into calling that phone number.
Then, they will have you open Event Viewer, and you'll see THOUSANDS of 'events'. OMG!! My system is broken!!
Then, you give them remote access, and you're screwed....

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Check your browser's extensions. Probably it's sitting somewhere there. I'm not using Edge and don't know where to go there, but when I had similar problems in Chrome (I use Chrome browser), I just went in settings/advanced/ and at the very bottom there is "Restore settings to their original defaults" & "Clean up computer ". When I had this problem in the past, Chrome didn't have Clean up computer ", so the first option "Restore settings to their original defaults" helped to fix it. So, check your Edge settings and if you see something like "reset browser settings" or something like that, do it and if it's a browser virus this should fix it. Obviously after that be more careful what extension you install in browser or what permission you give to some websites.

Solution