Rant about the current state of the PC and gaming market

I would like to talk about what is going on currently with all these terrible problems with the PC and the gaming market at this present time.

The operating systems over the years from Microsoft have started to get worse and we have all realised it. Windows 95/98/XP all had issues yes but not as bad as what is currently happening with the apparent all mighty Windows 10 that is meant to be the OS to end all OS's. Windows 10 has many issues such as from the start it constantly tries to defrag, clean and scan your computer while you are trying to use it. There has been a lot of back lash over the amount of privacy issues the OS has such as the data it tries to legally take from you to apparently improve the system, more like so Microsoft can sell it to marketing companies.... the OS even asks to access your personal accounts such as banking and email.... that is just wrong. Yes most of the issues can be fixed by going through settings and editing files hidden in the background but the whole point is that you shouldn't have to do this, the OS should work from the start.

I will never understand why they didn't just stick to Windows 7, it worked didn't it, yes the updated system was rubbish but really what else what wrong with that OS? Windows 7 was what Vista was meant to be but Vista was just a nose dive for Microsoft, a complete embarrassment, it was meant to be the 64bit system that you could use for all the tech coming out such as SLI as it had just started coming across to consumers but plagued by driver issues with new OS's SLI struggled. Windows 8 was certainly made for tablets and phones over Desktops just from looking at the terrible UI, Of course Microsoft was doing all of this so they could get a piece of the touch screen market as it had started to boom like crazy. The tablet/laptops that came out were of poor build if you were in the market for a budget one and to get a decent quality one you have to fork out a pretty penny only to get a slow cumbersome system with a clammy UI. Most were in rage about Microsoft having removed the Windows start bar for some reason and in the end Microsoft was forced to bring out 8.1 to fix the plague of issues 8 had had but also to re-implement the start bar that they should never of removed.

Games wise I haven't a clue what is going on. Frame-rate drops, game breaking bugs, memory leaks, crashes, resource hogging, just general misleading advertisement and hype. Over the past few years there have been so many over hyped games that could of been absolutely amazing but in the end just failed embarrassingly and No Mans Sky is most recent offender. This is becoming a trend, releasing games broken/unfinished and we are allowing it to happen. Early access is an example of this, when someone buys an early access game they are pretty much buying in hope they the developer will use the money to update and then finish the game. There have been games stuck on early access for years with no difference, some have hardly been updated, Killing floor 2 is an example here as how long as it been on early access now.... and they have only just recently put gunslinger and sharpshooter into the game. In a gamers ideal world games would be released with all of its contents unlike the DLC riddle market we have currently.

This is all similar to how we are still allowing developers to sell us DLC (pretty much just scraps that should of been in the marketed game on most occasions) as long as people keep buying season passes and DLC the developers will keep cutting games into pieces to sell at a higher price than what it would of cost if everything was in the game together, its a con what it is, we allowed them to continue as people keep buying DLC and seasons passes.

Consoles are currently a mess and Microsoft have just release an overpriced Xbox one slim while Sony is still polishing off its dull looking slim PS4. Consoles are falling way behind drastically and they are unbelievably expensive for what you could get from a computer of the same price. The consoles are struggling so much they can hardly stay at 30fps in a 60fps era of gaming which is outright embarrassing. There is also a rumour going round that the PS4 and Xbox one are the last of their kind, no more consoles. I think it would be very good for the market if they stopped doing consoles as then the PC market could really stretch its legs and people could then focus on just upgrading their pc rather than buying a whole console that could hardly run the games in the first place. You never know Sony for example could try to make their own OS to put on a pc they'd have made for their games only (restricted I know but isn't console gaming already restricted?)

Handheld consoles should stay but a few things needs changing. For one they really need to release some new hardware soon. The new 3DS is struggling with frame-drops with 3D on and the Wii U was already struggling, watching my sister play Disney infinity on Wii U is just painful...
The upcoming NX is rumoured to be a handheld console with detachable controllers, if that is true I'm really worried who they employ for their brainstorming and testing. We just need a handheld that has user friendly UI and can actually run the games with no issues at all. Nintendo may just give up on consoles and stick to the mobile app market as the new Pokemon app went down a storm.

I'm just slowly losing faith in developers, i was one of the many looking forward to No Mans Sky and when i finally sat down to play it on my pc and it ran like crud on my monster build i refunded that game instantly with a lengthy email to Steam asking them to check games before uploading them... which they will never do.

I only have 1-3 games on my wish list, one being Dishonored 2, if they mess up any of the games I'm waiting for I may as well take a break from pc gaming as the gaming market has really started to go down quality wise. I'm getting real tired of the broken games on release.

Thanks for reading, please post your opinion of what you think of the mess of a pc and gaming market we have at the moment.

Regards

Wayfall

I heard the NX rumour around the web then it popped up on Youtube about how the console will pretty much be like a handheld as it will have detachable controllers.

Its only a rumour.

I blame the state of the game market on the fact that game development became a typical software industry. Years ago, games did still make large amounts of money but corporate control on the developer studios was extremely limited. I guess the parent company dictated budget since they held the funds, but other than that they just handled publishing, legal matters etc. Now, companies like EA stick their hands in the development process, imposing unrealistic deadlines and requirements without providing necessary funds and just telling developers to make do (I won't even go into how they treat their developers), and also largely dictating what the developers can actually put into the games. Then the result is that the games comes out unfinished because the developers weren't working entirely with their own accepted ideas and forced into deadlines that you just can't keep up with unless you have a very large team, which of course you can't have because the parent company isn't giving you enough money.

It's exactly why designers will (as kindly as possible) tell you to ah heck off if you try to tell them how to design what you ordered from them (e.g. company logo), instead presenting you with some options designed based on their own experience as a creative professional. Creativity (and thus the quality of the end product) go down the drain when the creative team are not allowed to do their job. If companies like EA and Ubisoft realize this, we may yet see many more great games come out, but as of right now, Zenimax Media and Square Enix are the only large companies I know of that don't do such things.

I would also like to add I have never understood where Nintendo get those dead awful games for their 3DS eshop. every time I check the eshop on Thursday to see if they have actually released anything of interest its always the same crummy cheaply made 2D kiddy games that look god awful. The last game i played from the eshop that was an actual polished game was the Steam world Heist.

Nintendo need to really rethink their eshop and to get actual indie developers to make games for the eshop and to stop putting rubbish cheaply made 2D games on as even a games development College student could make better....

Windows 10 is fine....never had a issue. Very fast OS and way above win7.

BUT I agree that I spend more time in settings/ini files at times than actually playing lol. But some games are fine...it's the select few that are iffy. I get annoyed with the Terrible port/optimised MESSES that are fallout 4 for example. Waste of life trying to get that terrible looking rubbish to work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Solution