Rant: Two Bit Score Misleading Auction

This really has us pissed off, just wanted to vent a little bit and get
some other opinions on this. We just purchased a Super Pac-Man CPO
from Two Bit on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6186232415

Got the item quickly, well packed, installed to find it was way crooked
(the printing, not our application). Called Two Bit and they claim it
is a factory second and was described.

Quickly glanced over the auction description. Read it twice, didn't
notice any language stating this. On the third pass I see in real fine
print at the bottom that it "may be blemished, scratched or returned
merchandise"....

I *guess* they did disclose this, but the way they did seems very
unethical and dishonest, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
Do we have a right to be pissed?

We asked for another overlay and they're charging us full price and
basically said too bad on the auction. I must say they've lost future
business from us...

So any other opinions, are we wrong here?

If anything a word of advice read Two Bits fine print (after reading
the text that describes it as a perfect item) before bidding on their
eBay items.

Thanks for listening,
Anthony

I completely agree, the only explanation for the fine print at the very
bottom after describing it as exact is to intentionally rip people
off. I'd trade negs with him if it was me, but then I don't sell stuff
on ebay.

It stands up in court, but is a deceitful practice. They know their
clientele are discriminating and couldn't offer a product (at least in
this instance) that would measure up to standard, so in order to dump
it on an unsuspecting consumer they "sublimated" the fact that it
wasn't spec.
The best thing you can do in the future before bidding is send some
emails or make a phonecall to a seller and ask some explicit questions
about the condition of the merchandise. You'll be satisfied or you'll
know it's junk or doesn't quite measure up. If you're lied to or
misguided after making conact with the seller, then you have a case for
fraud.

Jeff

If all they state is "blemished, scratched or returned merchandise"
then they didn't describe it as CROOKED. I'd argue that crooked is not
blemished since the very defination of blemished pertains to a minor
defect. I'd argue that scratched doesn't equal crooked, and returned
merchandise has nothing to do with crooked either.

Even their fine print doesn't absolve them of the fault with the
merchandise unless they include the term crooked or a reasonably
descriptive term that would lead the buyer to conclude there is more
than a minor defect.

Using the term blemish to describe a major defect like crooked
printing, is like saying there's a "door ding" when you meant to say
"totaled".

Just my 2c worth.

Mike Doyle

I'm not sticking up for them, but it has always stated that at the bottom of
their auctions. I won a set of pac side and front art from them and it was
fine, but I must say I was a bit worried that something was going to be
wrong with it when I received it. Maybe someone in the group has an extra
CPO and can hook you up with a good price. I can't think of ever reading
any positive feedback in the group regarding them.

Scott

"Anthony Pietrak" <anthony@quarterarcade.com> wrote in message

> This really has us pissed off, just wanted to vent a little bit and get
> some other opinions on this. We just purchased a Super Pac-Man CPO
> from Two Bit on eBay:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6186232415
>
> Got the item quickly, well packed, installed to find it was way crooked
> (the printing, not our application). Called Two Bit and they claim it
> is a factory second and was described.
>
> Quickly glanced over the auction description. Read it twice, didn't
> notice any language stating this. On the third pass I see in real fine
> print at the bottom that it "may be blemished, scratched or returned
> merchandise"....
>
> I *guess* they did disclose this, but the way they did seems very
> unethical and dishonest, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
> Do we have a right to be pissed?
>
> We asked for another overlay and they're charging us full price and
> basically said too bad on the auction. I must say they've lost future
> business from us...
>
> So any other opinions, are we wrong here?
>
> If anything a word of advice read Two Bits fine print (after reading
> the text that describes it as a perfect item) before bidding on their
> eBay items.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Anthony

Two bit bob is the king of misleading and underhanded dealing on eBay and in
general. If you absolutely must do business with him, better make sure you
check and double check what you're buying. In this particular case, his eBay
auction was misleading and is grounds for a complaint and possible refund
through eBay. Its a pain in the butt process but it might be worth it.
Good luck.

Chris M

<syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If all they state is "blemished, scratched or returned merchandise"
> then they didn't describe it as CROOKED. I'd argue that crooked is not
> blemished since the very defination of blemished pertains to a minor
> defect. I'd argue that scratched doesn't equal crooked, and returned
> merchandise has nothing to do with crooked either.
>
> Even their fine print doesn't absolve them of the fault with the
> merchandise unless they include the term crooked or a reasonably
> descriptive term that would lead the buyer to conclude there is more
> than a minor defect.
>
> Using the term blemish to describe a major defect like crooked
> printing, is like saying there's a "door ding" when you meant to say
> "totaled".
>
> Just my 2c worth.
>
> Mike Doyle

Well.. not to defend the seller or anything, but it does say "otherwise
of second quality" in the fine print, in addition to "blemishes" etc.
They also do invite you to ask them about the exact condition of the
item.

Now OTOH, they say "It is an exact reproduction of the original part as
to color, material, size and quality" which is obviously not true if
the type is crooked. And the picture in the auction must not be of
what they sold you, and that is not explained either. So I guess at
the very least, the description is contradictory and they should at
least get negative feedback out of it!

We were more than happy to pay the difference plus shipping for a new
one in perfect condition, but they said no way. We had to order
another one at full price plus shipping as we really need the overlay
for game (especially now since we stripped the panel).

The more I think about it, the more the fact that the text at bottom
completely contradicts the text at top annoys me. Also the fact that
the text at the top that describes it has brand new, perfect is some
much larger than the text at the bottom. Obviously they're doing this
to intentionally mislead people.

We'll probably pursue the issue with eBay. You'd think a company like
this would have enough business sense to give us a refund on the dud
and sell us the new one.

Anthony

This is justdown right Wrong! No matter how you slice it you can't get
argue this is fair and above board. Defects in a product should be in
the description....not in a disclaimer. Even as-is is usually up front
and in the main description. They don't say that the picture is not
the one for sale so I would insist on "THAT" one. But, what is really
odd is they have great feedback! One would think with this type of
business tactics they would have dozens of negitives....Idunno....

I think they have been totally misleading.

"It is an exact reproduction of the original part as to color,
material, size and quality"

I thought that twobits where better than this. They are blackening the
Namco name.
If they have seconds they should be sold as seconds. Really they should
be destroyed
as they do i the factory is its not up to standard.

Thats the cost of doing business

I almost purchased the full set of Pac art on eBay from the same seller.

I was fortunate enough to read the whole auction and noticed the fine
print at the bottom.

I immediately e-mailed the seller asking for a better description of the
defect, blemish, etc.

As yet, I am still waiting on a reply - from the sound of it, I might be
waiting awhile.

Glad this thread appeared before I shelled out the $179.00. :)

Steve

Well I guess what is really upsetting about it is they suggest that
this was a customer return. So they already attempted to sell this
once at full price?!

You definately got ripped.....thats just wrong...

--
ArcadeForever.

"Anthony Pietrak" <anthony@quarterarcade.com> wrote in message

> This really has us pissed off, just wanted to vent a little bit and get
> some other opinions on this. We just purchased a Super Pac-Man CPO
> from Two Bit on eBay:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6186232415
>
> Got the item quickly, well packed, installed to find it was way crooked
> (the printing, not our application). Called Two Bit and they claim it
> is a factory second and was described.
>
> Quickly glanced over the auction description. Read it twice, didn't
> notice any language stating this. On the third pass I see in real fine
> print at the bottom that it "may be blemished, scratched or returned
> merchandise"....
>
> I *guess* they did disclose this, but the way they did seems very
> unethical and dishonest, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
> Do we have a right to be pissed?
>
> We asked for another overlay and they're charging us full price and
> basically said too bad on the auction. I must say they've lost future
> business from us...
>
> So any other opinions, are we wrong here?
>
> If anything a word of advice read Two Bits fine print (after reading
> the text that describes it as a perfect item) before bidding on their
> eBay items.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Anthony

> We were more than happy to pay the difference plus shipping for a new
> one in perfect condition, but they said no way.

They're fools for not allowing that.

> We'll probably pursue the issue with eBay. You'd think a company like
> this would have enough business sense to give us a refund on the dud
> and sell us the new one.

Yes, I would think they would have enough common sense not to screw around
an estabslished game seller. Even at $25 total for BOTH cpo's, they are
probably still making money. The bottom line I think is that what they did
is bad business, even if they had the right to do it.

Anthony Pietrak <anthony@quarterarcade.com> wrote:
:
[...]

I woudln't consider a crooked misprint to be a 'blemish'.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

Funny how a known and disliked person like twobits gets slammed over and
over for something when he *did* disclose that the item may not be perfect
and the recent Matty-T / ShatterProof issue where the issue wasn't even
disclosed the same people respond totally different.. Wierd.. same
situation in my eyes. Seller didn't disclose everything he should have, so
both should be equally guilty of deception right?

/b

"Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> Anthony Pietrak <anthony@quarterarcade.com> wrote:
> :
> : This really has us pissed off, just wanted to vent a little bit and get
> : some other opinions on this. We just purchased a Super Pac-Man CPO
> : from Two Bit on eBay:
> : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6186232415
> :
> : Got the item quickly, well packed, installed to find it was way crooked
> : (the printing, not our application). Called Two Bit and they claim it
> : is a factory second and was described.
> :
> : Quickly glanced over the auction description. Read it twice, didn't
> : notice any language stating this. On the third pass I see in real fine
> : print at the bottom that it "may be blemished, scratched or returned
> : merchandise"....
> :
> : I *guess* they did disclose this, but the way they did seems very
> : unethical and dishonest, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
> : Do we have a right to be pissed?
> :
> : We asked for another overlay and they're charging us full price and
> : basically said too bad on the auction. I must say they've lost future
> : business from us...
> :
> : So any other opinions, are we wrong here?
> :
> : If anything a word of advice read Two Bits fine print (after reading
> : the text that describes it as a perfect item) before bidding on their
> : eBay items.
>
> I woudln't consider a crooked misprint to be a 'blemish'.
>
> --
> Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

well as i mentioned. it's the same sort of 'cover your ass' kind of thing
with the 'as-is' descriptions.
though in this case the item pictured clearly wasn't the item being offered
and the fine print in the first example wasn't buried at the bottom of the
page in 8 pt type.
pretty much the same thing though.

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Funny how a known and disliked person like twobits gets slammed over and
> over for something when he *did* disclose that the item may not be perfect
> and the recent Matty-T / ShatterProof issue where the issue wasn't even
> disclosed the same people respond totally different.. Wierd.. same
> situation in my eyes. Seller didn't disclose everything he should have,
so
> both should be equally guilty of deception right?
>
> /b
>
> "Mark C. Spaeth" <mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > Anthony Pietrak <anthony@quarterarcade.com> wrote:
> > :
> > : This really has us pissed off, just wanted to vent a little bit and
get
> > : some other opinions on this. We just purchased a Super Pac-Man CPO
> > : from Two Bit on eBay:
> > : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6186232415
> > :
> > : Got the item quickly, well packed, installed to find it was way
crooked
> > : (the printing, not our application). Called Two Bit and they claim it
> > : is a factory second and was described.
> > :
> > : Quickly glanced over the auction description. Read it twice, didn't
> > : notice any language stating this. On the third pass I see in real
fine
> > : print at the bottom that it "may be blemished, scratched or returned
> > : merchandise"....
> > :
> > : I *guess* they did disclose this, but the way they did seems very
> > : unethical and dishonest, just wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
> > : Do we have a right to be pissed?
> > :
> > : We asked for another overlay and they're charging us full price and
> > : basically said too bad on the auction. I must say they've lost future
> > : business from us...
> > :
> > : So any other opinions, are we wrong here?
> > :
> > : If anything a word of advice read Two Bits fine print (after reading
> > : the text that describes it as a perfect item) before bidding on their
> > : eBay items.
> >
> > I woudln't consider a crooked misprint to be a 'blemish'.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
> > 50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
> > Cambridge, MA 02139
> > (617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

i think this is part of a problem with ebay feedback.
if the buyer has 100% positive feedback with not as many entries as the
seller in this case...
the buyer is usually intimidated into just not leaving ANY feedback for fear
of reprisal.

sometimes i'd rather just leave no feedback since neutrals mean sqaut.. then
have someone hit me with a negative when i did nothing wrong and they're mad
i left them a neg.

k.

<emailgsr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is justdown right Wrong! No matter how you slice it you can't get
> argue this is fair and above board. Defects in a product should be in
> the description....not in a disclaimer. Even as-is is usually up front
> and in the main description. They don't say that the picture is not
> the one for sale so I would insist on "THAT" one. But, what is really
> odd is they have great feedback! One would think with this type of
> business tactics they would have dozens of negitives....Idunno....

cdog

I have thought about purchasing from them on Ebay before because
the "seamingly" same items sell for cheaper on Ebay than their
website. Never have I seen the fine print that you spoke of. I am
glad now that I never purchased anything from them, I bet 99% of
people that buy dont relize that either. I cant stand business like
this.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

syncbus@gmail.com wrote:
> If all they state is "blemished, scratched or returned merchandise"
> then they didn't describe it as CROOKED. I'd argue that crooked is not
> blemished since the very defination of blemished pertains to a minor
> defect. I'd argue that scratched doesn't equal crooked, and returned
> merchandise has nothing to do with crooked either.
>
> Even their fine print doesn't absolve them of the fault with the
> merchandise unless they include the term crooked or a reasonably
> descriptive term that would lead the buyer to conclude there is more
> than a minor defect.
>
> Using the term blemish to describe a major defect like crooked
> printing, is like saying there's a "door ding" when you meant to say
> "totaled".
>
> Just my 2c worth.
>
> Mike Doyle

I used to have my pinball pcbs repaired by them, but their service and
attitudes were so bad that after I received a wpc driver board back
that they said was fine, and then found out it was not, I finally
decided to never do business with them again. Their response to the
board having a problem with it and them telling me it was fine after I
shipped it to them twice was that sometimes their test fixtures don't
pick up all problems. ??????? Now when people ask who can repair pcbs
etc.... I say look here on the post, but at all costs stay away from
Two Bit . :( Bob (Bobbys World)

> We'll probably pursue the issue with eBay. You'd think a company like
> this would have enough business sense to give us a refund on the dud
> and sell us the new one.

Twobit also probably doesn't realize that by treating you poorly they've invited
a major negative thread on RGVAC. That's going to lose them a whole batch
of customers, at least for a while. The lesson (IMHO): don't treat customers
badly, because it'll reflect on your bottom line. It's simple - but yet so many folks
don't seem to grasp it...

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com

<matrix42@sover.net> wrote in message
> I used to have my pinball pcbs repaired by them, but their service and
> attitudes were so bad that after I received a wpc driver board back
> that they said was fine, and then found out it was not, I finally
> decided to never do business with them again.

Hey, I just wanted to say - if anyone wants someone nice to repair their
pinball PCBs, try Les Huckeba at www.hucks.biz He is absolutely the nicest
most patient guy on the planet, and did a great job fixing my pinball PCBs.

Greg