[SOLVED] Rapid drop in temp after exiting game, 90c to 50c in only 5 seconds..

Jan 25, 2022
So this may seem like an odd question but I find it odd how quickly the temp drops after I exit out of Pathfinder WotR.. which oddly in and of itself pushes my cpu temps higher than other games. I guess i find it strange considering I used to be a welder and even with aluminum 5 seconds would be crazy to drop 40 degrees Celsius maybe after 30 seconds.. So is that normal or is my cpu thermometer out of whack?

I run a i5-10500H and have a gigabyte g5 kc in fact this very model " https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-G5-KC-in-review-Upgradeable-gaming-laptop.557926.0.html " the only thing different is that I added a 1 gig NVME drive (2nd slot) and a traditional HDD.

Also yes I got a cheap RTX pc to just play a Unity Engine game lol ran fine on my old laptop (7th gen intel and a 1050 ti)I also noticed that the air coming out of the exhaust is not as hot as my old laptop so i find it suspect that its actually getting to 90 C.. but what do i know.. oh and it doesn't constantly get to 90 on all cores either typically 80s and somtimes7 0s if I'm using my cooling pad at home. also i got my fans set to hit full rpm's at 68c. Also the GPU temps are rarely above 60c.

Hope that's enough info, its mostly a curiosity..

Solution
Hey there,

So the short answer is, yes, this pretty normal of most modern CPU's. The big drop, specially after coming out of a game, is mainly down to the heatpipes and cooling fans that exhaust the heat from the back of the laptop, which is often why the air coming out feels pretty toasty. The systems are designed to cool quickly after a gaming session. You'll notice for a min or two the fans will still be spinning fast as the temps drop and once at about 50c will cut back in rpms.

In terms of your CPU temps hitting the 90c mark and generally between 70-80 at load, again, this is normal. You can reduce this by doing a few things. One of which you already use, which is the laptop cooling pad. If it has fans with the same orientation...
Hey there,

So the short answer is, yes, this pretty normal of most modern CPU's. The big drop, specially after coming out of a game, is mainly down to the heatpipes and cooling fans that exhaust the heat from the back of the laptop, which is often why the air coming out feels pretty toasty. The systems are designed to cool quickly after a gaming session. You'll notice for a min or two the fans will still be spinning fast as the temps drop and once at about 50c will cut back in rpms.

In terms of your CPU temps hitting the 90c mark and generally between 70-80 at load, again, this is normal. You can reduce this by doing a few things. One of which you already use, which is the laptop cooling pad. If it has fans with the same orientation as the intake on the underneath of your laptop it should help with cooling by a few degrees.

You can also look at using Throttlestop of Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU. This will reduce the voltage going to the CPU, which will reduce temps, and then by consequence, allow your CPU to boost higher and for longer periods.

Finally you could also consider re-pasting your CPU/GPUP thermal paste. The difference between a decent one like Noctua NT H1 and the generic paste used in most laptops is often about 5-10c. Worth doing if you're any way handy with dissembling stuff.

Solution
Jan 25, 2022
Hey there,

In terms of your CPU temps hitting the 90c mark and generally between 70-80 at load, again, this is normal. You can reduce this by doing a few things. One of which you already use, which is the laptop cooling pad. If it has fans with the same orientation as the intake on the underneath of your laptop it should help with cooling by a few degrees.

You can also look at using Throttlestop of Intel XTU to undervolt your CPU. This will reduce the voltage going to the CPU, which will reduce temps, and then by consequence, allow your CPU to boost higher and for longer periods.

Finally you could also consider re-pasting your CPU/GPUP thermal paste. The difference between a decent one like Noctua NT H1 and the generic paste used in most laptops is often about 5-10c. Worth doing if you're any way handy with dissembling stuff.

Just got the basic paste ill probably do that after a bit since I am not too worried about it. Thanks for the answer.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead