Rapid Hard Drive Fragmentation

jared_45

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Hi There I am in desperate need of assistance so I'll start by outlining my issue and the measures I have gone through to fix it and failed =(
My problem is rapid fragmentation on my HDD by rapid i mean fragments in seconds, I can run auslogics defrag on the 156gb partition at current and clear it from 10% fragmention to 0% but then run it again immediately and have it fragmented up to 2% even more sometimes?!?!....This is all started after a power surge (before i partitioned the hdd it was 976gb) which at first i believed to have corrupted to windows 10 pro installation I then shrunk the only partition i had to make a back up partition of 600gb to Back UP my data leaving me with my main partition of 347gb with my windows installation and after backing up my data i reformatted my main partion and done a fresh install of windows 10 and still the same problem persists T-T I have even deleted the partition and made a new partition to install windows on and still the same problem all while at the same time my 600gb partition does not fragment....so now i have exhausted all my resources on fixing this problem and would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance
(spent many hours on googles looking for answers I can even find anyone with this problem)
Ive done chkdsk and used disk doctor and the smart drive health status say Good, please let me know if there is any more info i can give
Kind regards Jared

Colif

Win 11 Master
making new partitions won't help if its the drive itself that is the cause, unless I misread and the partitions are on another drive?
I have had similar, one of my hard drives was losing space on a daily basis, but it was 6 years old and probably due to die.
You might want to fresh install win 10 (backup everything you need to keep) and see if that fixes the defrag process

What brand are the drives as SMART is okay but there are better testers, and most makers have a test for their drives

USAFRet

Titan

A "backup" on the same drive that may be dying (or having issues) is not a "backup".

jared_45

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
I have already backed everything up on the other partition that does not get fragmented and yes on the one Drive and have done the fresh install as stated,
It's a Seagate Barracuda and less than two years old and of course ages does not determine life (sorry about replies this is first time using this forum =S )

Colif

Win 11 Master
run seatools for windows on drive: http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/

you need to copy the things you want to keep off the hdd, putting it in another partition on same drive doesn't save them if drive stops

USAFRet

Titan

It is still the same physical drive.

You need to recreate the whole system, OS included, on a different physical drive.
Then attempt to 'fix' this one.
The more you mess with this drive, the closer it gets to actually failing.

jared_45

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Thank you all for your help and suggestions and yeh ive also backed my data up on my laptop (that is working well) Tried using SeaTools but wont run and give me a Fatal Error: Device Discovery "could not load file or assembly 'SpawnCLR.dll'"
I think I'm going to just order new HDD then haha Death By Power surge

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Also consider purchasing and using an UPS with AVR -- no more sudden power surges, no more sudden brown-outs, no more sudden black-outs. Meaning, the UPS will give you approximately 15-30 minutes to save everything, close gracefully, and shutdown if necessary.

jared_45

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Yes Ive had that in mind seeing my uncles one and how it has saved his multiple times, Im going to look around for one seems as though I just bought a new chip and board FX-8350, it would only make sense to invest in something that will protect it and other hardware.....(mainly the chips the board is only a Gigabyte ;P )