Question Rapid Heating I7-4790K

thijsconinx

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019
Hi,

I bought a (second hand) CPU like a month ago (the I7-4790K) everything was working as I installed it in my system. (I used thermal paste that came with my new CoolerMaster Cooler, not a big tube, but enough to fill the whole space up). But today during gaming I noticed that my fan suddenly started spinning like a maniac, what doesn't happen a lot, and never had happened during that game (AC:eek:dyssey). During this game my CPU usage is around 40%, while GPU is 100%.

I quickly alt-tabbed and checked my temps with performance test and intel(R) extreme tuning utility. These both gave temps above 90°C.

So I quickly closed all my open applications. But the fan kept spinning hard and the temp was still above 90°C. I restarted my pc, and while my applications where starting, the fan started spinning again (it never does this). Now you might think it is just a thermal paste issue, but after the fan stopped spinning, I opened Chrome. And the fan started spinning instantly as my processor usage went up. Here is a pick while using the stress test from intel extreme tuning utility.

View: https://imgur.com/a/3sRtkYs

Is it normal behaviour, even when the thermal paste is completely dried out (put it on new like 2 weeks ago) for the temperature to reach 100°C in less than 5 seconds? I might have failed my Thermodynamics class last semester, but that doesn't seem normal to me.

I did not yet take the fan off and check for thermal paste (getting the fan on in my microATX is a hell...), I am planning to do that if you guys say so.

Edit: I turned down the Turbo boost power max and the processor current limit, and it reaches 90°C, but in a slower way (that is to be expected I guess). But still, I did not have these issues before (so probably it is thermal paste)
View: https://imgur.com/a/mlNQzcG

Thanks a lot!

Edit2: Well, I did just open my backplate, and noticed 2 of the pins from the fan did not came all the way through... And with some pushing and poking I managed to get 1 of them back in fully... Jeez installing a fan with a pin-installing thingy in a micro ATX is not recommended... the 2nd loose pin is burried between the fan, my ram and the GPU.. Will take the GPU out later to make it stick (hopefully) forever.

Leaving the post up in case someone has similar problems.

Last edited:

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
FYI: Only use a pea as in (green pea) sized amount of thermal paste. You need to take the old stuff off and place a pea sized amount in the middle. That is all. Too much and it will not conduct enough heat :(

thijsconinx

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019
FYI: Only use a pea as in (green pea) sized amount of thermal paste. You need to take the old stuff off and place a pea sized amount in the middle. That is all. Too much and it will not conduct enough heat :(

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't use Wikihow for stuff like that... But the temps are at 30-40° idle and 70° under load, should I still apply new thermal paste?