Rapid Review: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Is this a regular interest now, I thought the closure of Tom's Games reviews meant that this was be strictly hardware oriented. Also the article wasn't exactly breaking new ground stylistically.

exfileme

Splendid
[citation][nom]spanner_razor[/nom]Is this a regular interest now, I thought the closure of Tom's Games reviews meant that this was be strictly hardware oriented. Also the article wasn't exactly breaking new ground stylistically.[/citation]
It's a test run

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Spanner, what sort of new ground would you like us to explore? We'd like to continue to bring you some reviews - possibly PC only depending on how this goes.

Keep in mind that we're not working within the same sort of template that we had with Tom's Games. This is a unique venture in game reviews, with a style that is a lot more simple and quick to read.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
The article probably should have mentioned that the game (or atleast the beta) were built and balanced around 3v3s, not 1v1s. A major difference from the previous game.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanlord[/nom]Spanner, what sort of new ground would you like us to explore? We'd like to continue to bring you some reviews - possibly PC only depending on how this goes. Keep in mind that we're not working within the same sort of template that we had with Tom's Games. This is a unique venture in game reviews, with a style that is a lot more simple and quick to read.[/citation]

A ground I would like you to re-explore is a video game show. I would still miss Rob Wright and his partner, but if the new guy or guys are as entertaining, and tend to do different than the mainstream videogame review media, like gamespot, I would really enjoy that.

If money was the reason why the original show was canceled in the first place, an option to make donation like 3dGameMan does would be a good idea, as long as the show is worth it. A show that tends to look biased over certain type of game or developpers-publishers like some (most)reviewers seems to be is an exemple of what does'nt deserve donations.

There is already too much typical analytic game reviews on the web, something with a more personal flavor would be more enjoyable to me. Like a guy who don't fear to admit he himself find Halo 3, for exemple, to be pure shit or just overrated, backded with reasons, even though it's a A+ title on every other review media there is. That's a personal thought of myself, but this could be anything. I don't mind if the guy bash a game I love, I like honesty, as long as the guy backs that with valid points.

Just my 2 cents.

G

Guys im pretty sure the other campaigns will be released as dlc. They have been pressing the media with there take on drm to reward buyers rather than restrict them. I for one love the idea.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Nuclear - no problem, glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Master Exon - Why do you think it was balanced for team more than 1v1? In the beta, I primarily played teams but in retail the majority of my online games were 1v1 since release. I felt that the game was very well balanced for both modes. If you look at the ranked ladder distribution, it's pretty even amongst the top ranks in terms of side used, win/loss ratio, etc.

N3ard3ath - I believe Rob was trying to keep the video shows going, but I'm not sure where things stand. I am from Tom's Games though, Kevin and Devin are still around as well. In terms of going against the grain, we don't want to do that unless it's a real opinion. Trust me though, if there's something worth complaining about we have no problem doing so. We just don't want to be angry gamer reviewers without a valid reason. :)

Mow - I'm thinking the same thing but we haven't heard any sort of confirmation yet. It just makes me think though that perhaps the days of multi-side campaigns in RTS are over. Starcraft 2 is also going to have just one marine related campaign at launch as well according to Blizzard.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Glad to see continued video game coverage.

I agree with Mow on the single player. Halo Wars is the same way. Methinks this leaves room for expansion packs as well and I have a feeling this approach is going to continue to help avoid piracy. Plus it allows a dev and publisher to make sure it is popular before committing extra resources.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Just bring second take back ... that would make many of us happy immediately. For the last year I came to Toms mostly to see Second Take updates. Tom's games written reviews were always less formulaic and off beat, something which I appreciated.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]Just bring second take back ... that would make many of us happy immediately. For the last year I came to Toms mostly to see Second Take updates. Tom's games written reviews were always less formulaic and off beat, something which I appreciated.[/citation]

I mostly came to Toms for SecondTake too. And Ryan, giving an honest opinion is what I meant, not just go against the grain for the sake of it. I'm not an angry gamer, even though I may look like it lol. I just like honesty, without the fear of words.

roorunner

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Hello,

Glad to see a the review (thank you, thank you), but what about a few words on it's minimum hardware and what hardware the developer suggests? Please don't think all of Tom's readers have über systems. Have you tried reading the box - too small of lettering for old eyes with glasses.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd like to see more reviews here, but I'm skeptical that Be(wor)st of Media will force the reviewers to give favorable reviews to some titles. This has been done by virtually all of the major review sites out there. The Second Take crew was one of the few honest review teams and time will tell whether or not this new segment can fill their shoes.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
This has to be the most moronic review ever. The dude is stuck at "It has a weak singleplayer but vast multiplayer". What the hell is wrong with you? Have you no friends to smite?

This game is fun though. Funny as hell, and using this engine with a sci-fi theme is awesome. Company of Heroes was damn fun too.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Wiki - when did I say it had weak singleplayer? The single player campaign is very good, it's just drastically different from the multiplayer side of the game.

To everyone concerned about us having bought out opinions, I can tell you that those of us remaining from Tom's Games (Kevin, Devin, and I) won't be selling out period.

Regarding second take, the best we could try to put together right now would be a podcast unless Rob and Ben work something out with Best of Media.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanlord[/nom]Wiki - when did I say it had weak singleplayer? The single player campaign is very good, it's just drastically different from the multiplayer side of the game. To everyone concerned about us having bought out opinions, I can tell you that those of us remaining from Tom's Games (Kevin, Devin, and I) won't be selling out period. Regarding second take, the best we could try to put together right now would be a podcast unless Rob and Ben work something out with Best of Media.[/citation]

That would be awesome. And thanks alot for taking our feedbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.