News Raptor Lake instability hits streamer Asmongold — Black Myth: Wukong shader compilation fails on stream

One thing is reading reports pointing at there being a problem (I've read two already, plus the Steam forums message from the Monkey Game Devs), but another is watching this on one of the streamers with the most amount of viewers across all platforms. Oof Intel, oof.

Keep in mind he uses one of this own company's PCs. Starforge PCs. So he is using a pre-built, technically speaking. No idea if he mentioned he's using latest BIOS and all that.

Regards.

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Curious about the claim that in the article that the new Intel microcode has patched the instability issues.

I thought that Intel is just claiming that the new microcode prevents further damage and that the extended warranty is available to help people RMA CPUs that have already suffered enough damage to cause crashes.

The workarounds for a PC with the stability issue seem to be the ones documented by the gaming companies - downclock memory and CPU etc.

We are likely to run into another batch of weird failures every time a new game comes out and does shader compilation. Its too bad that this may cause companies to ignore actual bugs until someone on AMD or 12th gen reports the same issue.

Reactions: Eximo and usertests
Curious about the claim that in the article that the new Intel microcode has patched the instability issues.

I thought that Intel is just claiming that the new microcode prevents further damage and that the extended warranty is available to help people RMA CPUs that have already suffered enough damage to cause crashes.

The workarounds for a PC with the stability issue seem to be the ones documented by the gaming companies - downclock memory and CPU etc.

We are likely to run into another batch of weird failures every time a new game comes out and does shader compilation. Its too bad that this may cause companies to ignore actual bugs until someone on AMD or 12th gen reports the same issue.
According to this: https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...rts-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113#M74792

It very explicitly says: "we found the root cause and we're patching it". Is there a second reading I'm missing?

Regards.

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
According to this: https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...rts-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113#M74792

It very explicitly says: "we found the root cause and we're patching it". Is there a second reading I'm missing?
That would prevent further damage, but doesn't help with CPUs that are already experiencing instability or are close to failure. People buying a new 13th/14th gen or getting an RMA replacement and updating their BIOS now are likely to be OK.

The next line and the warranty extension is the fix for people who already have stability issues or where they show up in the next two years (i.e. RMA the CPU)

Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process.

To help streamline the support process, Intel's guidance is as follows:

• For users who purchased 13th/14th Gen-powered desktop systems from OEM/System Integrator - please reach out to your system vendor's customer support team for further assistance.
  • For users who purchased boxed/tray 13th/14th Gen desktop processors - please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance

Reactions: Eximo

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Regards.

He has it correct. Unless that is a brand new CPU and had the microcode applied to it before much use, it may already have damage that this game exacerbates.

The fix also has to be applied, and there will be people out there who miss it. And they will likely need a CPU replacement, but may not know they can get one.

Already seen a few posts where people have this problem, already took the computer to a shop and were told they had bad memory and other things without having knowledge of the ongoing issue.

That would prevent further damage, but doesn't help with CPUs that are already experiencing instability or are close to failure. People buying a new 13th/14th gen or getting an RMA replacement and updating their BIOS now are likely to be OK.

The next line and the warranty extension is the fix for people who already have stability issues or where they show up in the next two years (i.e. RMA the CPU)

Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process.

To help streamline the support process, Intel's guidance is as follows:

• For users who purchased 13th/14th Gen-powered desktop systems from OEM/System Integrator - please reach out to your system vendor's customer support team for further assistance.
  • For users who purchased boxed/tray 13th/14th Gen desktop processors - please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance
So it's a matter of interpretation.

If your car brakes fail and you bump into things or have tire issues due to it, you still need to fix the brakes, but the other damage will still be there.

Call it whatever you want and I agree with the "if it's already borked, you better replace it" for the record, but Intel's wording makes it so that anyone who has a "problem free" RaptorLake after this patch (0x129), it should be ok going forward, which is what the article is refering to. At least that is how I interpert the wording.

Thing is, it seems like it is not.

Regards.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I can replicate that problem on UE5 games. I just decrease voltage to an unstable one under load. To fix it I increase my voltage under load. The First Descendant took 5 More mv than SOTTR for stability.

There is really a lot of vdroop in most stock motherboard settings with i9s. Trying to fix it by increasing the voltage leads to too high of idle voltage, but fixing it by reducing vdroop via LLC settings and undervolting back to a bit higher full load voltage results in lower low use/single core voltages and more stability in high use scenarios.

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Intel has already patched Raptor Lake's instability issues through a new microcode update, which not only rectifies CPU instability but also addresses CPU degradation issues caused by excessively high voltages.

Sadly, however, Intel's microcode update is unable to fix Raptor Lake CPUs that have already degraded. These chips will still see instability issues even with the new microcode installed.
Is it just me, or do these two sentences effectively contradict each other?

The first one seems to imply that the microcode update rectifies CPU instability in addition to preventing degradation, while the second one states that the microcode does NOT fix CPUs that have already degraded to the point of having instability issues.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I still say it’s weird that this only happens with nVidia cards in games that use the latest Unreal Engine update that released a few months back when compiling DX12 shaders. These devs like to point fingers and wine and preemptively give notice about the errors, but none have done any troubleshooting at all. Or, at least none that they have posted about. Maybe start by disabling shaders in groups then test to narrow it down to see if there is a specific one or two that cause this issue?

Look, at this point (if it’s truly so rampant and widespread) I don’t see why they haven’t done this in an attempt to at least let their games run on these systems without errors or less errors. Or, maybe just give players the chance by adding options to disable specific shaders on their own and test for themselves.

This whole thing seems so weird. People are just going along with being okay that something does work right because it’s the other guy’s fault.