Raptor WD740 10,000rpm & 300gb Seagate Barracuda

TailsNZ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
Hi everyone,

I live in New Zealand at the moment, but in a few months time am moving to the US to live with friends for a year. A side effect of that... it's a great excuse to build a whole new PC :D My current one is old (2ghz AMD, 80gb HDD etc). Anyways, the first part I've been looking at is the hard drive, and reading around here it seems these might be good choices...

74gb Western Digital Raptor WD740 SATA (10,000 RPM) - About US$175
300gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831AS SATA - About US$249

I'd use the Raptor, split in partitions for my Windows XP, Programs, Swap File and Scratch Disks. The Barracuda would be for everything else.

What do you think? I'm a bit worried about noise because my current PC was built for low noise, but I'm ready to sacrifice it some for speed. Also I just heard it's good to put those type of things on the Raptor, is that right?

Thanks so much for all your help!

TailsNZ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
Hey good to meet ya! I'm just a regular sheep shagger :p

That's good to hear (or not to hear I suppose, err, alright perhaps it's too late for me to be posting...), thanks :)

Do you know what's good to put on the main hard drive? I guess everything like the OS and the other stuff I mentioned, but am not really sure.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Just what we need, another sheep shagger :tongue:

Just some freindly shoppng advice for when your in the states. Be sure and check at BestBuy and CircuitCity for HD's because they run sales all the time that are really cheap. I got 2 WD 80GB HD's for around $29.00 a piece a couple of weeks ago.

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:
Intel 550(3.4)@4.2 Posted 4.6Ghz but unstable
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@DDR2 780
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

RichPLS

Champion
NewEgg has 74gig raptors around $170 U.S.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
for a while, tho not now, WD had a $25 rebate to boot, so you could have gotten one or more for around $150 with rebate.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

TailsNZ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
BestBuy and CircuitCity? Thanks, I'll remember those. Here in NZ it's always cheaper to go to the smaller PC stores than the big chains, but America sounds like it might be the other way around. Sounds easy, great!

Yep, and I don't have any games except StepMania (I'm a console/handheld gamer - his last words before he's booted were). So putting those files on the faster HDD should help speed the computer up. Excellent.

Would the $25 rebate be just valid in the states though? Perhaps. I'm staying in Hong Kong for 2 months before the states, but hard drive prices weren't that different from in NZ. Like a Seagate 200gb for US$130.

RichPLS

Champion
Usually the rebate states what countries it is valid in. And USA and/or Canada is all I have seen them for, but that could just be because of the market I shop in. Doesn't matter on the Raptor rebate, it is over now anyway.

TailsNZ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah I'll look into that, Ebay too (as I'd have a US address I could just get it posted there). There's one WD740 going for US$112.50 at the moment.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
He said that he is coming to the states for a visit, so whoever he stays with could be the address he uses.

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:
Intel 550(3.4)@4.2 Posted 4.6Ghz but unstable
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@DDR2 780
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

TailsNZ

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
Yep that's right. I'm gonna pick everything else, like motherboard, monitor etc online, and then either have it sent in advance or buy it when I arrive (need a PC & internet for work).