[SOLVED] Rare Freezing

hdgamer777ftw

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Lately I've been running into an issue to where my computer hard freezes and hard locks under rare events. These events include rendering in sony vegas, playing specific games (apex legends, Farcry 5). I did notice it was occurring more when i had chrome in the back ground. Soon after i started to diagnose what my issue was.

At first i thought it was my ram, but recently i upgraded to the same brand of crucial at 16gb. (the issue still occurred)

It wasn't until I under clocked my cpu from 3800 to 3200mhz from 1.3250v to 1.3125v instead. My freezing stopped (maybe my mobo or psu i still dont know yet)

I have not updated my mobo's bios yet I cant think of a way (aside from the memory compatibility updates) this could effect it. (unless there is something i dont know)

Then I realized i didint have this issue until i upgraded my mobo from a ASRock B350m to my recent one (MSI B450m)

If you think i missed something please tell me i have looked it up and nothing relevant has popped up yet.

As of right now the only thing left is to update my motherboard and hope for the best, worst case is i have a warranty so i can just pull everything apart and send the mobo back.

Specs for diagnostics
-Ryzen 1600 (not oc)
-Ram Crucial Ballistics 16gb 3200
-Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb (satan pc??🤔🤔🤔666)
-550CX power supply
-MSI MOTAR B450 micro atx
-and an 128gb ssd and a 1tb hardrive

Im still kinda a novice on pcs so dumb down stuff for my small brain.

Solution
Update BIOS to last version with newest AGESA code first. 1st gen Ryzen works good at high memory speeds only with Samsung b-die RAM.
If you set RAM to 2933MHz and CL14 or less, you'd get same performance as on 3200 Cl15/16 but with better reliability.
Also make sure RAM is placed in right slots, most probably A2 and B2.
Update BIOS to last version with newest AGESA code first. 1st gen Ryzen works good at high memory speeds only with Samsung b-die RAM.
If you set RAM to 2933MHz and CL14 or less, you'd get same performance as on 3200 Cl15/16 but with better reliability.
Also make sure RAM is placed in right slots, most probably A2 and B2.

Reactions: hdgamer777ftw
Solution