Rare or Unique?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...

Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:

Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!

--USEast
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

*Dividedbyzero schrieb:
> The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
> me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
> to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
> not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>
> Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
> duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
> bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>
> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!

And why are rare items more unique than uniques?

---
Hannes
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:20:31 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>*Dividedbyzero schrieb:
*snip*
>> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>
>And why are rare items more unique than uniques?

It's all so confusing! The world may never know...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"*Dividedbyzero" <thisis@fake.ihope> skrev i en meddelelse
news:8qkv51hptvs60circsr5d7m84vonnnukvu@4ax.com...
> The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
> me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
> to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
> not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>
> Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
> duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
> bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>
> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>
> --USEast




Because the people who made up the names are morons!
Rares are even more unique than uniques, which is just plain silly.
--
Jonas

My DVD's: http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Jonasgaarde
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:44:54 +0200, "Jonas Gaarde"
<albuerumminusspam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"*Dividedbyzero" <thisis@fake.ihope> skrev i en meddelelse
>news:8qkv51hptvs60circsr5d7m84vonnnukvu@4ax.com...
*snip*
>> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>>
>> --USEast
>
>
>
>
>Because the people who made up the names are morons!
>Rares are even more unique than uniques, which is just plain silly.

It seems so, indeed...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:33:34 -0400, *Dividedbyzero wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:44:54 +0200, "Jonas Gaarde"
> <albuerumminusspam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"*Dividedbyzero" <thisis@fake.ihope> skrev i en meddelelse
>>news:8qkv51hptvs60circsr5d7m84vonnnukvu@4ax.com...
> *snip*
>>> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>>>
>>> --USEast
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Because the people who made up the names are morons!
>>Rares are even more unique than uniques, which is just plain silly.
>
> It seems so, indeed...

Uniques can have unique properties, whereas rares just have more
of the properties that magical items can have. Also, a given
unique can supposedly only drop once in a given game, whereas
a rare has some impossibly tiny probability of being generated
twice in the same game.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:51:54 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Uniques can have unique properties, whereas rares just have more
>of the properties that magical items can have. Also, a given
>unique can supposedly only drop once in a given game, whereas
>a rare has some impossibly tiny probability of being generated
>twice in the same game.

OK, I see. I still can't say it exactly makes sense, though. Uniques
being able to have unique properties makes sense as to why they're
unique... but rares still are more common than uniques, making them
not the most rare.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:22:32 -0400, *Dividedbyzero wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:51:54 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Uniques can have unique properties, whereas rares just have more
>>of the properties that magical items can have. Also, a given
>>unique can supposedly only drop once in a given game, whereas
>>a rare has some impossibly tiny probability of being generated
>>twice in the same game.
>
> OK, I see. I still can't say it exactly makes sense, though. Uniques
> being able to have unique properties makes sense as to why they're
> unique... but rares still are more common than uniques, making them
> not the most rare.

In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"*Dividedbyzero" <thisis@fake.ihope> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:8qkv51hptvs60circsr5d7m84vonnnukvu@4ax.com...
> The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
> me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
> to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
> not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>
> Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
> duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
> bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>
> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>
> --USEast

Not beige, that's called golden.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:47:36 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
wrote:

>The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
>me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
>to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
>not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>
>Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
>duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
>bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>
>Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>
>--USEast

One thing to add to the other replies:
You might find 2 rare items of the same type with the same name, but
the chance that they have the same mods is almost nil.
(This, of course, makes rare items unique...!)
<G>

....
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

noneyabusiness wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:47:36 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
> wrote:
>
>
>>The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
>>me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
>>to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
>>not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>>
>>Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
>>duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
>>bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>>
>>Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>>
>>--USEast
>
>
> One thing to add to the other replies:
> You might find 2 rare items of the same type with the same name, but
> the chance that they have the same mods is almost nil.
> (This, of course, makes rare items unique...!)
> <G>
>
> ...
I---I----I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!!!! I THINK MY BRAIN MAY EXPLODE!
Whew...I feel better now. ;-)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:37 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
>and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.

True...it's not like this is a big deal or anything to me. I just got
corrected a couple times - once by someone who was actually wrong as
it turned out, and another time by someone who was right... and looked
up the names... and realized I actually *had* had them mixed up, which
I thought was odd since I've been playing for a long time... so I
thought I should know things like this! But then I realized that
sometimes, the items aren't as true to their names as possible...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:28:10 -0400, sidekick
<sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

>noneyabusiness wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:47:36 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
>>>me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
>>>to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
>>>not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>>>
>>>Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
>>>duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
>>>bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>>>
>>>Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>>>
>>>--USEast
>>
>>
>> One thing to add to the other replies:
>> You might find 2 rare items of the same type with the same name, but
>> the chance that they have the same mods is almost nil.
>> (This, of course, makes rare items unique...!)
>> <G>
>>
>> ...
>I---I----I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!!!! I THINK MY BRAIN MAY EXPLODE!
>Whew...I feel better now. ;-)

Did your brain actually explode, or did the feeling just pass?

I think mine might actually have exploded!

Joking aside, I DID have a headache earlier...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Yes it is ridiculous. Considering Unique means One of a Kind and yet you
have so many people running around with the same One of a Kind item. Defeats
the idea of being Unique doesn't it? It doesn't make it Unique it would make
it Rare?

Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:04:47 GMT, "Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au>
wrote:

>Yes it is ridiculous. Considering Unique means One of a Kind and yet you
>have so many people running around with the same One of a Kind item. Defeats
>the idea of being Unique doesn't it? It doesn't make it Unique it would make
>it Rare?

That's what I would think, too. Unique items have "unique"
properties, which are unique, I guess, because no other items but
unique items can have those... but the unique properties are the same,
making the items actually less unique because of being "Unique"!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

*Dividedbyzero wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:28:10 -0400, sidekick
> <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>
>>noneyabusiness wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:47:36 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>The other day, I referred to an item as "rare" and someone corrected
>>>>me saying "that's unique, not rare". Then the other day... I referred
>>>>to an item as "unique" and someone corrected me saying "that's rare,
>>>>not unique". So I looked it up as to which was which...
>>>>
>>>>Apparently, "unique" items are the ones with the beige-ish, much
>>>>duller and only slightly yellow tint, versus "rare" items having the
>>>>bright yellow tint. So, if that is the case, I have this question:
>>>>
>>>>Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>>>>
>>>>--USEast
>>>
>>>
>>>One thing to add to the other replies:
>>>You might find 2 rare items of the same type with the same name, but
>>>the chance that they have the same mods is almost nil.
>>>(This, of course, makes rare items unique...!)
>>><G>
>>>
>>>...
>>
>>I---I----I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!!!! I THINK MY BRAIN MAY EXPLODE!
>>Whew...I feel better now. ;-)
>
>
> Did your brain actually explode, or did the feeling just pass?
>
> I think mine might actually have exploded!
>
> Joking aside, I DID have a headache earlier...
I just had to yell a little and the feeling passed ;-)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:03:07 -0400, sidekick
<sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

*snip*
>>>I---I----I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!!!! I THINK MY BRAIN MAY EXPLODE!
>>>Whew...I feel better now. ;-)
>>
>>
>> Did your brain actually explode, or did the feeling just pass?
>>
>> I think mine might actually have exploded!
>>
>> Joking aside, I DID have a headache earlier...
>I just had to yell a little and the feeling passed ;-)

Ah OK, good. Hopefully my brain didn't actually explode, but the
headache DID suddenly mysteriously disappear, so then again I may
never know...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!

Well, you won't find uniques with these attributes anytime soon... ;-)
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/851/116/

Mvh. Otto
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:15:46 +0200, "Otto J." <hifiotto@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Why are unique items more rare than rare ones?!
>
>Well, you won't find uniques with these attributes anytime soon... ;-)
>http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/851/116/
>
>Mvh. Otto
>

Hmm...that's an interesting page. Gotta love that level 41
requirement on a sash with 2 defense and 2 damage return! Speaking of
which, I had a dream last night that there was a new rune in Diablo 2!
It was called the "All Ages" Rune, and if put into a socketed item, it
made that item void of all level and stat requirements, so that a
character of any level or strength, dexterity, etc. could wear it, no
matter what the restrictions on it had been. Strange.

I always find it cool when I get an Ethereal item that says "Repairs 1
Durability Every # Seconds"... and to the best of my knowledge, it
actually works! I've never had one break anyway... but then, I never
used one for *that* often, so I might not know for sure. Anyone know
for sure if that always works?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On that special day, Otto J., (hifiotto@hotmail.com) said...

> Well, you won't find uniques with these attributes anytime soon... ;-)
> http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/851/116/

It was a long time ago, when I found a belt with similar useless mods;
it had a 100% plus defense, and that doubled it to something like
eight. At that time, the 1.10 patch wasn't there to up it a bit, so I
sold it.


Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de


--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away,
just so, at no cost.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:54:48 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:37 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
>> and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.
>
> True...it's not like this is a big deal or anything to me. I just got
> corrected a couple times - once by someone who was actually wrong as
> it turned out, and another time by someone who was right... and looked
> up the names... and realized I actually *had* had them mixed up, which
> I thought was odd since I've been playing for a long time... so I
> thought I should know things like this! But then I realized that
> sometimes, the items aren't as true to their names as possible...

How do you catch a unique rabbit?

--
freemont
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:41:27 -0400, Freemont wrote:


> How do you catch a unique rabbit?

It's not a rabbit...it's a pooka.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Freemont wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:54:48 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:37 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
>>> and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.
>>
>>
>> True...it's not like this is a big deal or anything to me. I just got
>> corrected a couple times - once by someone who was actually wrong as
>> it turned out, and another time by someone who was right... and looked
>> up the names... and realized I actually *had* had them mixed up, which
>> I thought was odd since I've been playing for a long time... so I
>> thought I should know things like this! But then I realized that
>> sometimes, the items aren't as true to their names as possible...
>
>
> How do you catch a unique rabbit?
>
With a unique carrot, of course ;-)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:23:16 -0400, sidekick
<sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Freemont wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:54:48 -0400, *Dividedbyzero <thisis@fake.ihope>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:37 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
>>>> and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.
>>>
>>>
>>> True...it's not like this is a big deal or anything to me. I just got
>>> corrected a couple times - once by someone who was actually wrong as
>>> it turned out, and another time by someone who was right... and looked
>>> up the names... and realized I actually *had* had them mixed up, which
>>> I thought was odd since I've been playing for a long time... so I
>>> thought I should know things like this! But then I realized that
>>> sometimes, the items aren't as true to their names as possible...
>> How do you catch a unique rabbit?
>>
> With a unique carrot, of course ;-)

wrong :)

unique up on him.

How do you catch a tame rabbit? Tame way.

Let the groaning commence. :-/

--
freemont :-D
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Freemont wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:23:16 -0400, sidekick
> <sidekick39spam_bust@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> Freemont wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:54:48 -0400, *Dividedbyzero
>>> <thisis@fake.ihope> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:37 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In English one could have three categories called "rare", "rarer",
>>>>> and "rarest" but that wouldn't be a very good naming scheme either.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> True...it's not like this is a big deal or anything to me. I just got
>>>> corrected a couple times - once by someone who was actually wrong as
>>>> it turned out, and another time by someone who was right... and looked
>>>> up the names... and realized I actually *had* had them mixed up, which
>>>> I thought was odd since I've been playing for a long time... so I
>>>> thought I should know things like this! But then I realized that
>>>> sometimes, the items aren't as true to their names as possible...
>>>
>>> How do you catch a unique rabbit?
>>>
>> With a unique carrot, of course ;-)
>
>
> wrong :)
>
> unique up on him.
>
> How do you catch a tame rabbit? Tame way.
>
> Let the groaning commence. :-/
>
SHHHH! Be vewy vewy quite!