[SOLVED] Rare Texas Instruments Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otodus

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Hello, I had a question for anyone who may know a bit more about Texas Instruments. Recently I found a small leather booklet with 4 pages mostly filled with special strips. Closer inspection led me to seeing that the backs may be readable like film, yet I don't know what they are or what they go to. There are 21 of these strips, three of which are blank and the rest being games of sorts. They are all from 1976 and have an A side and a flipped B side. Picture Links at bottom.
The programs I have are:
Number guesser
HI-LO
Interchange
Codebreaker
Star Buster
Twenty-One
Mars Lander
Phantom Ship
Mortar Fire
Sea Battle
Craps
ESP Evaluator
Banker for Monopoly
NIM
Baseball
Basketball
Football
Parachute
And 3 blank strips
If someone can help me learn about what they are, what they go to, and how rare they are, that would be greatly appreciated!
Photo of strips
Single Strip Front
Single Strip Back

Solution
The back side of those strips are, in fact, magnetic media that are read by a motorized reader built into several of the high end TI calculators of the time (I own a TI-59 with such a reader and strips). Once the strip is fed through the reader, and the program is loaded, the strip is inserted into a slot beneath the 4 or 5 programmable buttons to indicate their functions for the currently loaded program. The ones you have would not be considered rare at all. And, due to age, may not be readable any longer.
The back side of those strips are, in fact, magnetic media that are read by a motorized reader built into several of the high end TI calculators of the time (I own a TI-59 with such a reader and strips). Once the strip is fed through the reader, and the program is loaded, the strip is inserted into a slot beneath the 4 or 5 programmable buttons to indicate their functions for the currently loaded program. The ones you have would not be considered rare at all. And, due to age, may not be readable any longer.

Reactions: Otodus
Solution

Otodus

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019

Thank you ex_bubblehead, do you happen to know which calculators they may be compatible with? I did happen to also find a TI-60 near them, although I did not see a slot I could insert them into... Unless I'm just blind? Again, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.