RAS error 718 Windows XP

bobn

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Anyone having trouble with connecting via dial-up with
718 error (PPP timeout) I have been seeing this in the
field while performing my job. Only the last couple of
months has this been a problem. Signal looks good on our
modem banks but then drops. We did some testing and think
it's in the PPP stack. Sometimes a re-boot will fix it or
creating a new connectoid. Mostly happens with XP. Any
ideas? Thanks!

Bob

On WinXP, recreating the connectoid and rebooting dont always solve this issue. In the case that doing those two steps does not you can always go into your phone and modem options via control panel, and head to the properties for your modem listed on the modems tab, from there you can drop the max port speed to 57600 and then still in the modem properties head to advanced and click the advanced port settings button, and on here lower your in / out fifo buffers one notch and apply this also solves many dialup timeout issues including 718 and 678, and recreating the connectiod after these steps is more effective because in many cases even after re-creating that connectoid...