News Raspberry Pi 4 Car Dash Computer Takes Linux on the Road

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Why can't they add an fm tunner, not a dab+ based one, you have excellent tunners modules like the tef 6686 working on I2C bus, they dont cost a fortune ... and coding is known on a few projects

I can't call this a car project until you add car related Am or Fm signals ?? I would if i could code :(

jasonkaler

Distinguished
Why can't they add an fm tunner, not a dab+ based one, you have excellent tunners modules like the tef 6686 working on I2C bus, they dont cost a fortune ... and coding is known on a few projects

I can't call this a car project until you add car related Am or Fm signals ?? I would if i could code :(
That's quite a bit of work adding a tuner, an amplifier, electrical noise filters. No audio in on a PI
It's not just coding, it's hardware too

Sep 10, 2021
Actually to add fm radio would be pretty easy. All you would have to do is buy a software defined radio (sdr) and install an app. I've already started building my raspberry pi head unit.

Sep 10, 2021

The reality is that I have no desire to add AM or FM signals. I haven't listened to the radio in years. I've streamed Pandora or Spotify to my cars via bluetooth for probably 10 years at this point and haven't even plugged the AM/FM antenna into the my aftermarket stereos in that same 10 year period.

Also, if you saw at the 9:50 mark in the video, OpenAuto Pro includes welle.io which is "an open source DAB and DAB+ software defined radio (SDR) with support for rtl-sdr (RTL2832U) and airspy. It supports high DPI and touch displays and it runs even on cheap computers like Raspberry Pi 2/3 and 100€ China Windows 10 tablets."

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The problem with sdr they usually take ressources to process / decode the radio stream, in my country you dont have many dab chanels, and i love to listen to the fm radio loll and dont want to invest in sirius or xm radio ...